41. Operation: Get My Girl

A/N: This book has been entered into the Wattys 2018! Whoop!

Chapter Forty One: Operation: Get My Girl

Jackson was serious when he said it was a challenge.

One thing to support this statement strongly was his so-called plan which he proudly proclaims as "Operation: Get My Girl". Yes, I know. How freaking extra can he be, huh?

Well, I got the answer to that question when I entered the school today and found him leaning against my locker door in a relaxed manner. The girls were staring hard at him, whispering about him in hushed, excited voices but I knew I couldn't blame them—he looked wildly attractive today.

He was leaning his back on my locker door, crossing his arms in front of his chest. He held a small confident smirk on his face and he was in a loose navy button-up shirt with the first few buttons left unattended. His hair was messily styled and his eyes appeared especially blue and lively today. If I hadn't known I was in a high school, I would have thought I had stumbled into a model's studio.

I stopped in my tracks for a bit, contemplating whether I should continue my way towards my locker. I mean, I had to get my books. I can't be late for English class just to wait for him to go away or something.

I continued walking but slowed down when I spotted a girl talking to Jackson. She was petite, about 5"1' and you could see that she carried herself with elegance and confidence. She wore a nice violet dress which hugged her curves perfectly at the right places. Her hair was thrown in a low bun with light blonde strands hanging at the sides of her cheekbones. Her eyelashes were long and flirtatious with her lips plump and pink. She had a sweet smile as she talked. No one needs to look twice to know that she was gorgeous. Like really gorgeous.

She was Clarissa Madens, of course. The most popular girl in Linden High. The one who gets hundreds of boys and maybe even girls, falling head over heels for her without any effort. She was a natural beauty, unlike most of the try-hards in our school who apply layers of makeup and dirty tactics to climb up the social hierarchy in high schools. It is pretty stupid to know how far people would go to win the fame game.

When I saw her, all I could think about was that night at the party when I found her and Jackson madly kissing in a dark room. I shuddered slightly at the thought of that weird night. They could be madly in love with each other and yet here I was, getting ahead of myself, thinking I could ever be on the same level as Clarissa.

As much as I wanted to avoid the both of them, I willed myself some courage towards my locker nevertheless. I would kindly ask Jackson to step aside to get my books and leave there immediately before anything awkward happens again.

Jackson spotted me first and waved at me. I gave a slight smile and finally reached the both of them in front of my locker.

"Hey, "Jackson greeted me in a funny tone. It was as if he sounded a little out of breath even though he was just leaning on the locker door for the past few minutes.