Guilt

Jennifer's POV:

As soon as we got to the hospital they rushed Arielle into the emergency room, saying something about how they needed to perform surgery.

An hour later and I was still waiting for someone, anyone to tell me how Arielle was doing.

I went up to the front desk and asked the lady there. "Hi, can you tell me how Arielle Agostinelli is doing?" I asked.

"What is your relationship with the patient?" She asked not even looking up at me and at her computer screen instead.

"I'm her girlfriend." I said.

The lady looked up at me and the looked back down at her computer screen at said "She's still in surgery."

I didn't even thank the lady and went right back to my seat before I exploded on her.

Calm down Jennifer.

An hour later a man came out and said "Anyone here for Arielle Agostinelli?"

He was a tall old man. He had on glasses and all his hair had greyed.

I raised my hand and came over to me and asked "What is your relationship to her?"

"Im her girlfriend, Jennifer." I said to him.

"Im Dr. Sullavan, nice to meet you."

"How is she?" I asked him.

"The bullet punctured one of her lungs and went through her chest. When there is a hole in the chest, the outside air can come in through that hole. The air gathers around the lung and collapses it. With a large amount of air around the outside of the lung, it can't expand. Soon the body will start to suffer the effects of low oxygen, eventually going unconscious and dying from lack of oxygen. But we were able to get to her just in time before it got to that point. So we put in a chest tube so that the air and blood will flow out and allow the lung to re-inflate." He said.

"How long will it take for her to recover?" I asked.

"I could take 1-3 months." he said.

"Can I see her?" I asked.

"Yes but she is unconscious right now."

"Okay, thank you." I said to him and he left.

I went straight to the room that the put Arielle in.

I sat down next to her bed and grabbed her hand in mine.

I looked over her face, and even while she wasn't at her best, in my eyes she looked beautiful. She always looked beautiful.

I couldn't help the guilt that had went through me.

Why had I been so dumb? Why did I charge to him, not thinking about the consequences. This is the second time Arielle has been to the hospital, and both times were because of me, this time worse than the other.

Arielle had taken the bullet for me. She put her life on the line to save me, because of my stupid actions. Maybe I should've broken up with her. If I had, she wouldn't have been in this hospital bed right now. Sure, we wouldn't have been on speaking terms, but was the really worth it for a gunshot wound to the chest?

I didn't realize I wasn't the only one in the room when I heard someone behind me say "Jennifer?"

I turned towards the door and saw Amanda in the doorframe. She quickly came over to me and said "You're crying."

I reached my hands up to my eyes and wiped them, and realized I in fact had been crying.

Amanada continuously looked in between Arielle and I and soon said "You really love her don't you?"

I nodded my head and stayed silent.

"What happened?" She asked.

So I told her everything from what happened as soon as I met up with Arielle.

Amanda stayed silent so I asked, "Are you mad at me?"

"No, I want to kill Mason, but I'm not mad at you. You did what you thought was best to get the gun out of his hands." she said.

Soon Arielle's whole family came, so I left the hospital with a heavy heart and a lot on my mind.
————————————————————————
A week later

I was at Arielle's house in her room and we were both on her bed watching TV. Her chest was still pretty bad, and she had to change the bandages every 3 hours.

I looked over to my right and looked at her. Her eyes were glued on the screen, we were watching Pretty Little Liars. This is the only thing that she had been doing for a week. The doctor said that she shouldn't move around too much or the wound would just get worse, or one of the stitches might pop.

The police haven't found Mason yet, they say they think that he may have moved to another state, maybe even another country. But nonetheless they're still trying to find him.

Ever since the incident happened she's been mute. All she does is either shake or nod her head, when I ask her a question. I'm honestly forgetting how her voice sounds like.

"It's time to change the bandages." I said to her.
She nodded her head and slowly got up from her bed. I helped her walk to her bathroom and got the bandages from the cabinet.

"Do you need help taking off your shirt?" I asked her.
She nodded her head and slowly lifted her arms up.
I carefully pulled her shirt over her head and set it down.

I looked at her chest and saw that the bandages were a little bloodied, and I slowly unwrapped them, making sure not to pull a stitch. I looked at her wound and couldn't help to feel guilty. I bandaged her up and helped her put her shirt back on and we went back to the room.

We sat back down on her bed and I said "Arielle?"
She looked over at me and waited for me to continue. "Do you blame me for what happened?" I asked her.

She slowly shook her head and said "No, I don't blame you, you tried to save us."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes I'm sure why wouldn't I be?" She asked.

"I don't know because now you're forced to just sit here and do practically nothing, and... with the way you're acting...I just feel like it's my fault." I said to her.

"Jennifer..." she sighed. "I'm sorry that I'm not sunshine and rainbows right now but I mean what do you expect I was shot."
"You're right, I'm sorry..." I said wanting to end the conversation.

After a few minutes of silence Arielle said "Look Jennifer, I'm sorry I haven't been very 'vocal' lately,  I'm just still in shock about what happened. I'm sorry if I made it feel like it was your fault but it's not." She grabbed my hand and continued "I don't blame you, trust me."

"Okay...thanks Arielle." I said.
"No problem." She responded and leaned her head on my shoulder.

And even though she said that she didn't blame me, that didn't stop me from blaming myself.