I look over my shoulder, since I guess she was giving me the silent treatment, and I look over at the pictures on the wall.

Black and white photo’s of Pairs, New York, London, China and Australia line the wall and they all seem to have an old, vintage feel to them.

On the walls also holds plates of famous people who have never entered the little place and a door toward the front opens and closes, waitresses and busboys coming in and out.

I remember coming to this place when Mia was looking for a job. Since her parents spent most of their funds on Mason and his dorm room, that meant that if Mia wanted to live in lovers retreat with Aiden, she had to get a job.

Months later, almost getting fired twice due to me and Kayla, and an almost fight with a customer and Mia was going .. strong.

My eyes land on Kayla and I watch as she sweeps her dyed hair behind one ear and looks out the window, where it looked like it was about to snow at any moment.

Her shirt hangs off one shoulder, despite the weather, and her hair is in some braid thing. Moments like this, time seems to stop.

I think of our mother back home, always wanting the perfect daughters to do the perfect things. A mother who prefers not to look at Kayla because she doesn’t live up to ‘The dream.’

All these years I have been trying to live for both of us, trying to make my mother happy so she wouldn’t give shit to Kayla, and now it seemed like I was the reason she never did grow up.

“Hey,” Kayla turns her head and looks at me and I smile a little.

“ Have you talked to mom? Like, at all?” I see her tense up and she looks away, her hand bouncing on the table a little.

“Oh, um...No. I tried talking to her last week, but.. we didn’t get past hello without an argument starting so I hung up.” I sigh.

Great, that meant sooner or later I would be getting a phone call from a very pissed, very talkative, angry mother.

The joys of being the good twin.

“I think we have a match!”

 I flinch at the high voice and when I see Mia standing in front of our table, hands on her hips, dirty blonde hair tight in a bun, I drop all my old concerns and focus on the new one.

“So I heard..” I grumpily spit out and Mia laughs and pulls a chair from another table and brings it to ours. She gives me a pointed look.

“You agreed to this.” Kayla looks at me too, her finger twisting her nose ring, and I groan a little.

“That was when I had no clue what I was actually agreeing too.”

“Oh, please,” Mia says, pulling the pen from behind her ear and opening up her little black notebook she takes orders in. She flips a couple of pages while she still talks.

“I know the kind of guys you like. I’m not that bad at picking them. It’s Kayla you should be worried about. She tried getting this Indian guy who said he was the next Jesus to be your first date.”

My eyes snap to Kayla and she brings her hands up in defense. She gives me a small smile, trying to calm me before I started.

 “Hey, don’t give me that look! I have never met a guy from India who believed in Jesus. I’m not saying there are not Indians out there who don’t believe in that stuff, it’s just … Okay, look. He was really hot and said I had nice hair. What more would you want in a guy?”

“Unlike you Kayla, I don’t don’t just sleep with a guy because he said my hair looked nice.” I say a little too harshly and I see her eyes turn hurt and then pissed.

I go to open my mouth to apologize, when Mia cuts in.

“Whoa, I am going to stop you both before this turns ugly.” She turns to Kayla and shoves the notepad in front of her.

“Why don’t you tell Kelsey what the guys are like that we interviewed?”

Kayla doesn’t bother to look at the notepad, instead her eyes are straight on me. She shrugs a little, as if the whole thing didn’t matter.

“Oh, I don’t know. Kelsey probably thinks I slept with half of them. Right, Kelsey? Is that your subtle way of calling me a slut?” I rub my hands over my face and take in a breath.

The truth was I never meant to say that to Kayla.