Chapter Four

It didn't take much for me to figure out how things work my first day on the job

It didn't take much for me to figure out how things work my first day on the job. I made sure to take my good and bad experiences that I've had with restaurant workers in the past into consideration. So far everyone here is nice and that's a comforting feeling.

"So, how did today go for you? Did you feel comfortable being able to shadow Jasmine's tables?" Ms. Alicia and I were wiping down tables. The restaurant closes at 10 pm but we have to stay behind so that we can clean up. I haven't gotten the chance to tell my mom about my new job because she's always working late, and my dad still hasn't gotten home from his trip.

"It was nice being able to shadow her. I'm glad I didn't just get thrown into the job so thanks for easing me into it for my first day. I may be able to wait my own table tomorrow." She smiles at me patting my back.

"Hey girl, so I heard you liked your first day. Hate to break it to you, the first day is always the easiest day." Jasmine comes up to me right as Ms. Alicia walks away, playfully winking at me. 

"Yeah, I know. I guess I'm just excited to finally have a job and being able to make my own money soon.'

"I feel you on that one, having your own money feels good. How old are you?" 

"I'm 17, still in high school but I'll be graduating soon."

"Oh, that's cool. Feels like it was just yesterday I graduated from high school... you in any clubs?"

"Ahh—not yet. Thinking about being in the yearbook committee." I throw out carelessly. Me saying out loud that I didn't have any interest with high school out loud didn't feel so right anymore.

"You want to do the layout or take the pictures?" She smiles at me, genuinely interested in my interests.

"I would like to do it all actually. I like having creative control." I admit.

"Wow, so you like to have control of your life. It must be nice being so sure of yourself in high school." She nods in approval. I nod my head in return, gazing at nothing really as I think about her comment.  I'm not completely sure of myself and I find it interesting that that's what it seems like that on the outside looking in for someone.

"How old are you?" I quickly change the subject.

"I'm 21, I go to community college, take a couple of classes when I save enough from working. Benny over there is 19, the two of us have been working here since we were old enough to work."

"So, are you two the only other waiters that work here?"

"That's what it feels like." Benny walks over to us with a bucket of dishes. "It's a handful of us that work here but with the shifts that you have you'll be seeing us mostly; the closing shift is the most difficult shift. We're probably the most hard-working employees." 

"Maybe so." Jasmine smiles at him shaking her head.

"She has a son who works here, he's younger than Jasmine and I and he's her golden boy. It's annoying as hell, she makes his shifts flexible for what he has to do, and he comes in whenever he needs to, and everyone loves him every time." He thumbs his nose. "But if one of us were to be late or if we couldn't make it as much as he can't we'd probably get fired. I hate that guy."