Chapter Eight

Saturday, I slept in until the afternoon because I was still upset about last night

Saturday, I slept in until the afternoon because I was still upset about last night. Yesterday was a big mess; between my car, Landon, and my parents, I don't know what was more annoying. My bathroom was in my room and this was a time that I was glad about that because I could avoid possibly running into my parents. I didn't know if they were here or not, but I did not want to find out.
I sit on my bed to think; how the hell was I going to get to work? I could sneak my keys from my mom, but where could she have put them? I could call an uber, but I don't have a debit card and I wasn't going to steal either one of their cards. I took my phone out and I saw calls and texts from Madison and a few messages from my parents. I chose to ignore them because I needed to call Benny. He answered quickly which surprises me.
"Hello?"
"Oh—Hey Benny. Um—I was calling because I needed advice. I'm out of a car right now, do you think Ms. Alicia would be mad if I wouldn't be able to make it to work today?"
"Oh man, you know Saturday is a busy day for us I don't think she'd be happy about that. I wouldn't mind picking you up from your house."
"Really?" I felt so relieved that he offered, I was afraid to ask.
"Yeah I don't mind we need as much help as we can get send me your address."
"Okay, thank you so much I really appreciate it." I sent him my address while we were on the phone.
"Oh—you stay 25 minutes away from me. Okay, I'm gonna start getting ready now so I can be on my way. We both need to make it on time." I laugh, agreeing with him.

"I'm not gonna lie, I was second guessing coming to get you

"I'm not gonna lie, I was second guessing coming to get you. I thought you stayed like ten minutes away." I giggle at him; I had a feeling that's what was going through his mind. "Wow you were gonna leave me hanging? How charming of you." We both laugh at my sarcasm.
"Aw come on, when you say it out loud it sounds bad. I just meant that I wasn't expecting for you to be 25 minutes away from me. Where'd you find our restaurant at anyway?"
"My best friend Madison found it and I saw the help wanted sign before we walked in. I liked the scenery and Ms. Alicia—oh and the food. The food is so good, I've never had soul food as good as that."
"Oh yeah I can agree with you on that one, all of those recipes come from my Great-Grandpa. He's 96 years old now and holds our family together. He and my Great-Grandmother came up here from Detroit, bringing their business up here in 1980. Once my Great-Grandmother died the business has been passed down within our family. The business is so important that's why I'm still here working as much as I can, so it won't fail." I poke my lip out at him in awe, he was so sweet and selfless.
"Is that why you hate your cousin?" I hear him tsk lowly and I could see the tension that came over him. "Sorry... that's none of my business."
"It's fine, I just don't want to talk about it then I'll get upset." I nod my head, understanding how he felt.
"No—it's okay I get it... well anyway thanks for coming to get me." I reach in my purse getting my wallet out. "Here's $20 for your inconvenience and tank." I hold my shaking hand out with the cash, he pushes it back.
"Nah, you keep it. I offered to pick you up so I will be fine on gas money." He smiles at me, his smile was heartwarming, it was contagious and made me smile back.
Benny is attractive to me, I like how his dark brown hair curled, his hair line is sharp, and I can tell he likes to keep himself up with clean clothes and shoes. His jaw tightened as he drove, I had to look down before he caught me staring. I look down smiling, he unintentionally made me blush. He was caring too, which made me find him more attractive.
"Alright I see what's going on here Mr. Prideful." I smile at him, looking at the side of his face. I like how he talked to me like we've known each other for years.
"It's not even like that, I'd feel like a cheapskate or unchivalrous for asking for gas money."
"Suit yourself." I pull the mirror down to put on Chapstick. When I was done, I slip the $20 in the mirror and close it.
"I saw that Alex."
"Saw what? I don't know what you're talking about." He flashes his warm smile at me again.
"You weren't exactly inconspicuous about it."
"I thought that I was. You were just paying close attention that's all."
"Keep your money, I don't need it I promise—"
"Oh, look we're pulling up to the restaurant, time to get ready for work." He laughs, shaking his head in defeat.
"Come on, let's go in." He stepped out of the car quickly and went to open the door for me. He was a gentleman, it's not many guys around my age who were chivalrous.
"Thank you, Benny." He smiles at me and winks. My knees shake and I can feel my cheeks get warm.
He was making me blush again, I just wanted to hide my face under my hands but then he'd notice. He went to get the door for me, I thank him again not looking up from my feet. When we walk in it was hectic.
I couldn't tell how crowded it was before because we came in from the back-parking lot for employees. My heart dropped. Yes, Saturdays were busy, but it hasn't been busy like this before.
"Finally, the two of you made it!" Ms. Alicia takes a breath of relief, wiping sweat from her forehead with a napkin. "We got a sudden rush about 15 minutes ago, so we need all hands-on deck today."
"Okay well is he coming today to help us?" Her shoulders drop and she shook her head. He asks about his cousin coming in just about every time I came in to work and I find it odd how he has never come in to work since I've been here.
"Nope, he had to do something this weekend." I could see how annoyed Benny was.
I was worried that he'd have an outburst like my first day about how he felt about her son not having to come to work, but he simply nods his head and walks away. Ms. Alicia clasps her hands together and smiles. I couldn't bring myself to tell them that I was being forced to quit, it was so great being here around such great individuals.
"Okay guys, let's get to work." She says and we all immediately move to get back to work.

" She says and we all immediately move to get back to work