Chapter Twenty Six

Monday morning, when I drive into the school parking lot there is a thin layer of snow already on the ground

Monday morning, when I drive into the school parking lot there is a thin layer of snow already on the ground. It's a small buzz from everyone walking into the building. I hadn't showed up as early as usual because I'd put more effort into my hair today with my short bob. I find myself getting nervous before I even walk out the car, I know today is the day almost everyone in school will officially know that Landon and I are together.

An incoming call from Landon pops up on my screen and I immediately perk up wondering what he may want. As soon as I answer, his raspy voice is on the other line. "Dri, I overslept, and the car won't start, can you come and get me?" I try not to laugh at him because I know he's probably in distress right now since his morning started off rough. But the fact that he called me first made me feel giddy for some reason. "I'm on my way, send me your address."

When I get to his house, it's a homey bungalow and the snow that fell this morning is coated on his home. He comes out with a grey peacoat on and a grey skull cap to match. When he gets to my car he hurries and sits down letting out an exasperated sigh. "Dria, you wouldn't believe the morning I had." He's clearly frustrated, and I can tell he's ready to vent to me about his morning, so I prepare myself to hear his frustrations.

"Talk to me." And he did. I listened to him the entire way and did not try and interrupt him.

Walking in school, the air felt different. The halls were empty, so Landon and I went our separate ways to our lockers. As soon as I open my locker, I take my jacket and hat off neatly putting it into my locker. I still had chills from walking in the winter air, but I still grab my phone to see if my hair was messy from wearing my winter hat and it was. I do a quick finger brush to try and keep my side bang in place. Within a couple of months, I'd gone to wanting my hair to look messy to wanting my hair to be in place.

The first hour of class was almost over so I start to separate my books for the next classes before lunch. A soon as the first classroom door opens, seconds later the others open as well and there is a swarm of my classmates in the hall. I glance to the side and see a couple of people looking at me. I feel tension all around me for some reason, like everyone knew something I didn't and as soon as I'm about to go into panic mode, I feel a hand touch the small of my back. "Oh!" I jump back and cover my mouth as I giggle. Woah, that's new. "Landon, you scared me!" I exclaim. He takes my bag off my shoulder and puts it on the ground quickly embracing me in his arms. I shiver as he kisses my forehead. All the frostbite that I'd felt suddenly went away as the warmth from his lips warmed my insides.

"Good morning, Alexandria." His low voice booms into my ear. Of course, only he could get away with calling me by my full name.

"Good morning, Landon." I sigh as I lean into his embrace. It's completely silent and I feel something churn in the pit in my stomach. "Everyone's staring, aren't they?" I mumble into his chest feeling too embarrassed to move.

"Of course, but they'd do that even if we weren't hugging right now." He chuckles.

"It's not funny." I break away from his hug and put my hand over my forehead refusing to look at the stares that I can feel.