Chapter Forty Nine

My confession about being ready to take things to the next level with Landon had both my parents tense

My confession about being ready to take things to the next level with Landon had both my parents tense. The awkward conversation with my doctor about different ways to protect myself made me change my mind. She gave me a prescription of birth control pills in case I changed my mind again and suggested I buy condoms. But the look on my mom's face when she suggested this made me rush the rest of the appointment.

This awkward appointment was right before our dinner, and I was too embarrassed to even tell Landon about the talk I had. I knew if I'd told him all the smoothness in him would slip away and he'd be frozen scared the entire dinner.

But as expected, awkward isn't even the word for this dinner. My parents made me wear a navy sweater dress with black tights and flats. I felt—like I was at one of their stiff corporate dinners. The tension in the air is so thick, I'm just waiting for my mother to lay it all out on the table.

"Wow, these Cornish hens taste wonderful." Mrs. Alicia hums taking a bite into it.

"Thank you." She gives her a small nod. "So—what made you start your business?" My mom asks.

"It is a family business that my grandfather started. He came up here from Detroit—" She explains the story and I glance across the table at Landon.

I love you. He mouths to me when they aren't looking.

I love you. I repeat him, reaching my foot across running my foot up along his leg. He jumps when my foot gets higher, and I play clueless.

"You okay Donny?" Mrs. Alicia asks concerned.

"Yeah—" He clears his throat "I just got a chill that's all."

"Oh yes, it is a bit cold in here let me go and turn the heat up." My dad gets up to go to the thermostat.

"By the way, I love this house." Mrs. Alicia looks around sitting in her place.

Just the two of them came. She quickly apologized for her husband's absence and my mom gave a tight-lipped smile in return. Oh, it's fine we know all about overworking. She forced out pretending not to judge him. I rolled my eyes at her fakeness.

"So, Evelynn—I was caught off guard when Landon said you wanted to meet for dinner. I was worried you'd be upset with me."

"Oh no, no worries. I figured this would be the best way to try and work things out as parents." My mom nods as she picks up some of her string beans.

"Thank you, I've loved seeing Alex grow into a woman. She has changed so much since she started at my restaurant it was tough to let her go."

"Wait—let her go?" She pauses with a look of shock and I internally groan for what I know is to come.

Oh no.

"Yeah—Alex didn tell ya'?" Her look of confusion makes me feel embarrassed for her because I know I should have mentioned this to them by now.