Chapter Forty Seven

I bite at my nails trying to contain the chills I feel thinking about last night with Landon

I bite at my nails trying to contain the chills I feel thinking about last night with Landon. I stopped in the middle of clearing a table at work as something small had reminded me of Landon. I could not fight the smile on my face.

"Hey, Alex... it's been a long time." He leans against the side of the booth crossing his arms.

"Yeah Benny, it has." I nod keeping things curt.

"I text you after I heard about your accident... you never said anything." Yeah, you've been a jerk to me that's why.

"Thank you for thinking about me after my accident." I ignore him trying to pry on why I ignored him.

"Of course...at one point I'd like to think of us as close." He shrugs.

"I thought so too but then I stopped seeing you around once I got a boyfriend. The Christmas Eve party was the last straw for you, huh?"

He gets quiet and I roll my eyes before walking away. "You know Alex, it's like you forget how I confessed my feelings for you. Did you not give a damn about my feelings? Then weeks later you pop up dating my cousin knowing the terms he and I are on." His words become chopped, and I shift uncomfortably at his tone.

"I told you that I wanted to be friends and then you kissed me anyway." He sighs in frustration at me.

"Alex, you're so flirtatiously naïve it's ridiculous." I can tell he's getting annoyed, but I don't say anything. "Yeah—you said you wanted to be friends I know but I just thought you were afraid. We were vibin and when we would talk, I thought you were feeling the same connection that I was. It felt like we had a connection whenever we talked and when we hung out I just..." He doesn't finish his sentence, probably trying to figure out the right way to sat it.

"Benny—don't you have a girlfriend? My friend?" I quickly shut him down. His lips quickly close like he's caught, and I purse my lips at him.

"I'm sorry that I hurt you benny but I think it's time for you to let it go. The minute I started dating someone else and you started dating someone else, a conversation like this became inappropriate. Jasmine is a good friend of mine, and I can tell she really likes you so stop it right now." As I am walking toward the kitchen Benny quickly grabs my arm.

"Alex wait a sec, let me finish." I hiss from his grip quickly getting weak in my knees turning to see what he was thinking. "What does he have that I don't?"

"Benny—ow what the hell?" I whine. He quickly takes his hand back seeing the pained look on my face.

"Shit Alex I'm sorry I didn't mean to I just wanted to tell you how I felt. —"

"No means no Benny, please take the hint." I rub on my arm trying to ease the pain.

"Please..." He begs but I turn my back to him ready to dismiss this conversation entirely. But I see Jasmine and the hurt look on her face softens me up.