Chapter Forty Two

"So, what do you guys think? Want to come to UofM with us? I asked my mom she said yes

"So, what do you guys think? Want to come to UofM with us? I asked my mom she said yes." I wait for Madison and Justin to answer.

"Wait..." She snorts. "Your mom is letting you go to Ann Arbor with Landon for a weekend trip?" She asks in disbelief. I playfully roll my eyes before I answer.

"No, she is letting me have an educational enrichment trip for prospective young minds with my very best friend." I point at her smiling.

"No way you already roped me into this?" She whines.

"Of course, she will not let me go alone." I rest my chin in my hand.

"Ah, I'm not too sure onnit. I don't want scouts to think that I'm trying to set my sights on a college yet." Justin quickly turns the trip down.

"Babe no." She whines. "I don't want to third wheel with them." He doesn't say anything for a moment, and she gives him her best puppy dog look.

"I'll ask my parents and then I will consider." She silently cheers but her excitement her clear.

"Ooo yay! If I could kiss you right now I would." She says lowly.

"No promises." She dances in her seat not paying his maybe any mind.

I see Landon walking toward us and I feel my entire mood lift. "Hey! I was just telling them about the trip to Ann Arbor." I smile nearly ear to ear, but he doesn't return the same enthusiasm.

"Wass good Alex." Landon sluggishly sits next to me at the table, and I squint my eyes giving him an unapologetic frown. He sticks a toothpick in his mouth holding it between his pink lips.

"Excuse me?" I lean forward making sure I heard him right.

"Oop." Madison says. I glance her way as she tries to pretend like she isn't engaged in our conversation.

"What?" He lazily looks my way chewing on his toothpick still. I snatch his toothpick from his mouth and break it in half with my hand.

"What is your problem?" I try and whisper to him. But he doesn't look my way. He pulls his phone out not acknowledging me anymore.

I nod my head accepting that he was in a piss poor mood today and didn't want to explain why. I get up, grabbing my apple. "I think I'm going to go out for lunch today, see you later Madison, Justin." I return the favor by not acknowledging Landon. I walk away before the tears start to pinch at my eyes.

"You better go get her Landon or I swear I will—" Madison starts but Justin cuts her off.

"Bae please don'." He sighs. I keep walking not wanting to hear the rest of the conversation.

Just take a breath.

"Alex, are you okay?" I turn to see Madison with a light frown on her face.