Chapter Twenty

All I did for Halloween was stay home alone and eat candy in bed so when Thanksgiving came it was like it snuck up on me

All I did for Halloween was stay home alone and eat candy in bed so when Thanksgiving came it was like it snuck up on me. I'm feeling queasy about being around my father's family because it's been maybe two years since I've visited any of them so I'm worried. They live in Ann Arbor, Michigan so we had an hour and a half drive to get there.

It's obvious my father is feeling the need to impress his family. He gave my mom money to get everything done, her hair, nails, makeup, and she bought a new outfit. He even paid for me to do the same. I went to Jasmine for my hair because she said she'd love to make a change to my hair. I've been growing my hair since June and now my hair could be shaped into a short bob.

My father wants us to dress business casual so when I told Jasmine she helped me find a skirt online. She said, "I don't know why he wants the three of you to dress like this for thanksgiving, but you can't go looking like you're going to business meeting." She wanted to make sure it was stylish.

We put together a fitted navy-blue plaid mini skirt with black buttons going down the hip. I had a long black sleeve turtleneck, and I found a pair of black chunky-heeled ankle boots. When I came to the foyer with my outfit on my father looked at me sideways. He had on khaki pants with a polo shirt; his Movado watch topped off the bourgeois ass preppy look he wanted to showcase to his family.

"That's what you consider business casual?" He questions.

"Mom said it was okay." He looks over to my mom and she gives him a look.

"It's cute Xander, leave her alone."

"Where's the rest of her skirt?"

"It comes mid-thigh it doesn't cuff under her behind." She argues. I cross my arms listening to them bicker.

"I thought that we agreed on business casual."

"Will it help you feel better if she put on tights?"

"If you think that will make it better." He scoffs.

"Alexandria go put on tightss." She orders not taking her eyes off my father.

Without speaking a word to either of them I go to my room annoyed about needing to untie my boots and unbutton my skirt. I took my time doing so because they know that once I have on my outfit for the day and I am content with it I don't like to change clothes at all.

When I walk back to the foyer the two of them are standing there not speaking to each other. The only sound is my heels hitting the floor. They both look up at me and I clear my throat awkwardly.

"Thanks for putting them on Lexie." She says sarcastically, probably to annoy my father.

"Here baby girl." He holds out a blue box to me. "I got you and your mother a set, I'd like for the two of you to wear them."

The box has SWAROVSKI written on it in silver letters. My eyes water as I open it seeing a pair of silver earrings and a necklace to match. They were beautiful honestly, but I was trying not to gush about them, so I kept a small smile on my face.