Chapter Thirty Four

The sixth day of break and I was tired of work

The sixth day of break and I was tired of work. If I wasn't working, then I would go home and fall asleep while doing homework. With my ankle being sprained, I'd only gone to Landon's twice since break started and I promised my parents that I wouldn't spend the entire break only going to work and his house. Months ago, I would have called Madison but since we aren't speaking Landon is my closest friend.

With no other options I text Chrestina with plans to meet up at Panera to plan for yearbook. We have five months to finish the yearbook, but she'd been on Snap Chat posting since break started about how much she was worried about it looking perfect. She let me know how relieved she was about me reaching out to help and not just saying I would, to get her to be quiet about it like her brother had.

It's three inches of snow, and the snow was still going when I went out, so I layered up and I still felt cold. I'd decided to slick my hair back today to try something new, I like how it turned out, so I take pictures and post them. Landon is the first to like and comment wit heart eye emojis, so I respond back with kiss faces.

When I walk into Panera, I see Chrestina standing in line, so I join her. "How is the weather out there?" She smirks at my appearance because my layers were thick.

"Cold." I take my hat off and scarf shivering as I adjust to the heat. She chuckles at my response but doesn't say anything. We stand awkwardly as the line continues to move forward and I go over in my head what I may want to try.

"You can always try something gingerbread." She shrugs. I fake gag and she gives me a shocked look.

"Don't tell me you're a gingerbread hater." She puts her hand on her hip.

"Definitely." I admit without hesitation.

"Wow, I can't believe you."

"I can't believe you like gingerbread anything." I snicker.

"You must be a plain jane. Blueberry?"

"It's undefeated." I smirk.

"By the way, I like your hair, trying out something new?" I nod and smile politely at her compliment.

"Thank you."

When we sit down, she brings out her laptop showing me new layouts for the yearbook. We both agree on recent photos that were submitted by a couple of people from the club and then leave it at that. When she looks at her phone her demeanor changes as she replies to a message.

"So tell me about the ideas you have?" I start, to avoid her sudden shift.

"Let me tell you about this one idea that I seen on the internet." She goes into detail about how she wants the senior quotes to be placed and I write notes about her ideas that I think will work.

"I like the signature under the picture idea." I chime in as I write it down. We talk for thirty more minutes going over what else we can add or change.