Chapter Fifty Three

"You got the keys?" She nods

"What about cash for gas?" Her eyes widened as she shakes her head no.

"Well—not really—I only have cash for the caf Mr. Pierce." She stutters. He waves his hand and pulls his wallet out pulling out cash. He quickly counts it and puts his hand out to give it to her, I watch her eyes go wide at the wad.

"Madison—" He takes his hand back with the money still in his hand. "Do I need to give this to Alex to hold, or can I trust the driver?" He raises a brow, and she quickly shakes her head.

"No, no, you can trust me I promise." He hands her the money, and she quickly pockets it.

I hadn't seen someone hop in a car faster than her. Leave it to my father to test someone and give them a checklist before they leave somewhere. We both wave to them before she backs away and once, we pull out of the subdivision, she looks at me with a twisted face like she wants to say something—I knew what was coming.

"Ahhh!" She screams in excitement before taking off in the car toward the freeway. Big mistake on my dad's part for giving her permission to drive—she's pushing the pedal the entire way there. As she blasts Lizzo I hold my breath and close my eyes as she speeds away and as I grip the armrests feeling the tears cradle the corners of my eyes, the music stops, and the car slows down.

"Holy crap Alex, I'm so sorry. I can't believe I forgot something like that—I'm just so excited to drive your car and—" I hold my hand up letting her know it's okay and I sit in silence the rest of the drive.

I try to think back to tips that my therapist gave me for when I'm feeling anxiety about driving but my mind went blank and I spent the drive fighting back tears. Checking in felt like a blur as I was still in a daze from Madison's shaky driving. I hadn't noticed how wild she drove until now as she switched lanes frequently getting around slower drivers.

"So how was the drive?" Justin asks as he grabs our bags from the trunk.

"Your girlfriend drives like a maniac." I mumble. I see him eye her and she holds her hands up looking guilty.

"Well, I'm glad you made it safe." Landon engulfs me resting his chin on the top of my head. I close my eyes feeling comfort as he rubs my back.

"Thank you—I barely made it." I hear her kiss her teeth behind us before she responds.

"I wasn't driving that bad! We may have started out rough—but I finished smoothly." She defends herself.

"I find that hard to believe." Justin responds before closing the trunk.

"Can you at least pretend to be on my side?" She jokes. I lift my head looking up at Landon. he pecks my lips and nods his head signaling for me to walk.

"What dorm are you staying in?" Justin grips Madison's large bag with ease as he walks and talks.

"It's like an enrichment seminar so Madison and I stay in the same building with others because we're with STEAM." I speak up. He nods in approval.

Project: Love GamesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara