Chapter Eighteen

Saturday evening, the evening of homecoming

Saturday evening, the evening of homecoming. I feel a lot more down than usual staring at my pink glitter jumpsuit hanging behind my door. What could have been... but that's my own grave I dug by giving in to anger. In the back of my mind, I got use to the idea of going to homecoming which is why I took the step of going shopping. I was looking forward to wearing the jumpsuit. I don't dress up much, not that I detest the idea of wearing anything but casual clothes but going to the event itself is frightening.

Although I hadn't been able to take that leap again by going to the dance like before, I try and keep in mind that everything happens for a reason. I'm not sure what, but I know I can't sulk around all night in my dark room, so I get up and go down the hall. Both of my parents are in the kitchen and they're dressed up. My father has a strained look on his face and I know what that means; my mom is forcing him to go out. "No invite?" I say sarcastically. lm

"No homecoming?" My dad fires back and my mom quickly gives him the side eye.

"Wow, thanks for rubbing that in Dad."

"Anytime." He says as he readjusts his clothes.

"Sorry you had to miss homecoming, but maybe if you keep out of trouble you can go to prom, Ali." She smiles at me and I snicker at her joke. "We'll be back late; we're going to one of my firm parties and I need to make a good impression so I'm staying as long as needed." I refrain from sighing as they walk out the door quickly saying their goodbyes.

Great, even my parents are going out to a formal event.

I go on Instagram seeing a bunch of newly added people I followed from school posting their homecoming outfits before they left home and once they got to the dance. I find myself searching Landon's name to see if he's posted yet. Homecoming has just started and he still hasn't posted. From getting to know Landon, he's definitely making an entrance, it's in his nature. I go to Madison's page seeing her posts making sure to like them all and comment showing love.

Usually, missing something like homecoming wouldn't bother me but what puts salt in the wound is that I put time preparing for it and I let something get to me and ruin things. I usually can brush everything off, but as the familiar feeling of loneliness creeps into my dark room, this feeling can't be brushed away. Being unsure about life is frustrating, while I know I have plenty of time to figure it all out,

When I hear a knock on the front door, I quickly sit up startled by it. My parents have been gone maybe 20 or 30 minutes, hopefully the party didn't go that bad. I think of a bunch of sarcastic comments as I walk to the door. As soon as I open the front door my heart drops seeing an unexpected guest.

"Whoa, what are you doing here?" He gives me an uneasy smile as he rubs the back of his neck.

"I felt bad you were going to be alone on what I'm sure was supposed to be a special night so... here I am." He smiles warily as if he's afraid of how I'm going to react on him popping up at my home.