Chapter Fifty-two

A soft knock on the door drew Rage from his thoughts

A soft knock on the door drew Rage from his thoughts. Hours of thinking passed as he sat quietly while Willow slept.

A head of long brown hair peaked around the door, familiar brown eyes smiled with the same warmth as the smile on her face.

"Mother," Rage stood, greeting his mother softly as he moved to meet her at the door. She smiled, stepping around the door to reveal her arms holding black fur.

"I came to check on Willow and bring Shadow. He has been wondering around the castle yowling." Rage smiled down at the now wiggling cat. Joy allowed the cat to jump from her arms, rushing across the room and onto the bed.

Rage smiled as he watched the cat push his nose to Willow's forehead before rubbing against her and head-bumping her hand. She smiled softly as he opened her eyes to find the black fur ball quietly trying to get her attention. When she reached out and ran her hand from head to tail he laid beside her, curling up and purring.

Her eyes fluttered closed and Rage knew she had fallen back to sleep. The meds were keeping her sleeping as her wounds healed. He had seen them a few hours before while a nurse changed the dressing. The sight made him want to go right back downstairs and whip his brother all over again. Though they were healing, the skin scabbing and closing the open flesh, she still had weeks before they would be healed.

"Rage?" At the sound of his name he turned his attention to his mother. Her eyes wide with shock as she looked at Willow. "Is she...?" her eyes flickering to her son before returning to the sleeping female.

"Yes, mom, she is." Her face broke into a blinding smile as she turned to him, tears in her eyes.

"I'm going to be a grandma?" her voice a whisper as if she feared the opposing answer.

Pride filled him as he nodded. He never expected to be proud of having pups, but seeing his mother filled with happiness, he was proud to be the cause.

 He never expected to be proud of having pups, but seeing his mother filled with happiness, he was proud to be the cause

Hunter sat in his office, he sipped the amber liquid from his glass, lost in thought. He didn't want to think, but the brandy was of no help with that, it seems.