Chapter Five

Three days

Three days.

It had been three days since the she-wolf had returned to the human bar.

Rage had asked around but, the giggling waitresses, who nearly threw themselves at him, hadn't heard from her. The bartender was particularly irritated when he asked her, and he knew it was because she had been stuck staying late to do her work.

Sitting at the bar silently, he heard the door open, a man came through, dressed in a dress shirt and dark wash jeans. Rage watched as the man approached the bar, speaking to the bartender two, shamelessly, pointed his way.

He watched the man nod and head his way, Rage took him in. He was definitely human, from his wide figure was out of shape, no doubt from an unhealthy diet to the way he walked, leaning too much on his heels, screamed HUMAN. The dark hair that was left after what appeared to be years of thinning was greased back, his dull brown eyes set on Rage.

The man slid onto the stool next to him, the leather creaking a bit as it absorbed to weight.

"I hear you have been bothering my girls," said the man's scratchy voice, his breath reeked of cigarettes, causing Rage to hold his breath.

"I don't mean to bother," Rage said, his deep voice and words seem to strike the human dumb for a moment, "I just wish to make sure that the girl is alright,"

"Who? Willow?" The man asked, Willow, the name whispered across his mind. A tree of strength and sorrow, he felt it suited her.

"Don't worry about her, she is a strong girl," it surprised Rage a bit that the man didn't ask why he didn't ask why he was asking for her, "I think she is in some kind of abusive relationship," the man said, as if answering Rage's unvoiced question.

The shock that ran through him was nothing short of a surprise to him. He had had a feeling it was something like that. He had had a feeling she had been through much more than she showed.

"She will disappear for a few days, and return with bruises and cuts," the man continued, only pausing to motion for the bartender, "she never says anything, always has a smile on her face," nodding to the bartender as she set a drink in front of each of them, before he turned to Rage, "I never ask, if the girls wish to tell me, they know they can, but I never push,"

Rage just nodded to the man, gripping the fresh drink tightly in his hand.

"But don't think about trying to be her 'knight and shinning armor'," the man said with a smirk, "I have seen too many men loose that battle over the years," he paused to gulp down his drink, "if the girl doesn't want to be saved, you can't save her," he said, cupping Rage's shoulder before standing.

Rage watched silently as the man left the bar, the silence in his wake seemed to eat at him. Taking a deep breath, he stood, dropping more than enough cash onto the bar, he exited the building.