Chapter Twenty-two

It was dark, the air chilled through the jacket Rage wore

It was dark, the air chilled through the jacket Rage wore. The fire he had before him warmed his front but left his back to the chilled breeze of the mountains.

He frowned as there was a small rustle from his left. His eyes cut through the dark like nothing, yet he didn't see anything. He shrugged it off, thinking that it was probably a spooked rabbit or some other creature.

The choking hiss made him jump. 

He glanced back towards the noise, still finding nothing, though he was sure something was there, in the bushes.

He stood, stepping cautiously towards the shadowed bushes. When he heard the noise once more, he shoved his hand into the bush. The swift move not giving the creature time to escape.

His fingers gripped soft fur as he took hold of the small animal, pulling it from the shelter of the greenery.

The yellow eyes he met were small and wide as the puff of fur wiggled in his grasp, letting out the choking hiss again. He chuckled at the kitten, the little thing barely old enough to be out on its own. He was a brave little thing for sure.

"Where is your mother, little kitten?" he asked softly as he pulled the dark kitten to his chest. It stopped struggling as he was engulfed in warmth. Letting out a mew and a stuttered purr as he crawled his way into Rage's jacket.

He let the kitten curl up in his jacket, making himself at home nestled in the crook of his neck, covered all but his head peaked out his collar. He shrugged slightly at his unexpected buddy. He wondered if the small thing could even eat solid food yet, he was so small.

It wasn't long after he returned to his spot by the fire that he heard the approach of something bigger, something on two legs. His nostrils flared as he waited, ready for the unexpected guest. 

When the familiar scent hit his nose he relaxed once more.

"What are you doing here?" he asked Fury. It was late in the evening, too late for wondering wolves outside their territory.

"I have been sent to bring you to the castle," Fury stated as he stepped out of the shadows and into the flickering light of the fire.

"You told Hunter I was here?" Rage was filled with hurt from his brother's betrayal, the sweet smell made Fury feel even more guilty.