Chapter Thirty-one

The old man that stood before him smelled of death

The old man that stood before him smelled of death. His skinny form and sunken eyes and cheeks were clear signs that he was nearing the end of his life.

It was no wonder that Rogues were trespassing onto this pack's land. The Alpha was going to die any second.

"How may I help you?" The old man asked, his body seemed to shake with the effort. Rage was surprised the Alpha was still sitting behind his desk and not bedridden.

"I have found a large group of Rogues on your land, I came to find out if you were aware of the trespassing,"

Bushy white eyebrows frowned as the Alpha took in his words. Rage new instantly that he had no clue. This old man was being kept in the dark from everything around him.

"I was not aware," the foggy blue eyes shifted from Rage to the door behind him, "Henry!" He yelled before breaking into a fit of coughing.

Rage wrinkled his nose at the tangy smell of blood that filled the air with each of the Alpha's coughs.

The door behind him opened and a male in his forties stepped in. His face was shadowed in worry as his Alpha coughed up blood into the cloth clenched in his hand.

"Alpha," he gasped, rushing over to the old man and kneeling before him. His brown eyes watched in worry until the coughing finally died down, the rag now drenched in blood.

"Why didn't you tell me?" The Alpha choked out, looking down at, what Rage assumed was, his Beta.

"The doctor told me not to worry you, Alpha, Sam and Logan have been dealing with our Rogue issue..."

"Rogue issue," Rage laughed, this pack was going to split at the seams the moment this Alpha died.

"Who are you?" The Beta asked, finally noticing Rage standing on the other side of the desk. He stood, eyeing the much larger man before him.

"This..." the Alpha struggled against more coughing, "this is Rage Wulf," The Beta's eyes swong back to Rage, seeing him in a new light.

Rage fought against rolling his eyes. His family really needed to get out more.

"Sara!" The male yelled abruptly, actually causing Rage to jump slightly defensively.

A young female entered the room, her warm features pulled into a worried frown as she noticed the Alpha's pale form.

"Would you please take your father to his room? He needs to rest," the Beta asked the woman, her light blond hair swishing around her as she nodded and moved to help her father up.

Rage was silent as he watched the petite female assist the Alpha to his feet and slowly lead him to the door.

The Beta followed, closing the door behind them once they were out of the room.