Chapter Fourty

Willow groaned as an alarm jolted her from her sleep

Willow groaned as an alarm jolted her from her sleep. She was warm and comfortable and wanted to stay there, but the shifting of the body behind her was her indication that she couldn't.

"What time is it?" the husky voice asked as the beeping continued.

"Seven," Rage groaned, rolling onto his back for a moment before throwing the blanket off of him and stalking over to the alarm clock across the room.

His joints popped as he stretched his arms over his head and yawned. His sleepy face turned to her with a smirk.

"How long did I sleep?"honestly curious.

"Well, you came to the sun-room at about one, I woke you and brought you to bed around seven," his eyes widened, even he seemed surprised that he had slept so long. Eighteen hours was not normal, by any standards.

"Thank you for setting the alarm," he said, breaking the silence that had fallen over them. She didn't tell him that she could tell he needed the sleep, he was warn out and clearly wasn't getting sleep where he had been.

"You're welcome, Hunter told me that you were leaving at eight," he only nodded, his hand brushing through his messy hair.

"Will you help me pack?" she was shocked by his question, never expecting him to ask her to help him pack. They weren't mates, at least not yet, and that was something a mate would do.

She exchanged her over-sized shirt and satin pajama pants for leggings and a sweater-dress. When she slipped her feet into her shoes she found Rage already waiting for her in the living room, duffel bag in hand.

Willow followed him out of the room and to the main staircase. The wide set of stairs from the second floor to the first, she was familiar with. The stairs leading from the second floor to the third was a nearly identical version. It was set about twenty feet from the second floor landing, like a double staircase with one side leading down and the other leading up, a banister connecting them.

She ascended the stairs behind him, secretly happy that the stairwell was enclosed by smoky glass and not open empty space like the other one. She wasn't scared of hights, but falling from two floors up was not a pleasing thought.

At the top of the stairs the stone railing ended in two large walls, opening into a loft like area, iron caged three banisters that looked down on the floors below.

Six sets of double doors filled the open space, a few small sitting areas nestled about. Each set of double doors had a plaque on one of them, with names and titles engraved into them.

Rage led her to one set, these doors did not have a plaque, only a discolored spot where one had been.

When he pushed the door open she gasped. The place was huge. She had been expecting something like her rooms but this was much bigger, and two floors high.