Chapter One

Authors Note: This book follows The Duke's Daughter, by Jaidesmama (with permission), and does contain spoilers. I suggest reading DD first, as it is a wild ride and it tells the tale of how these two meet. It has been published and is available everywhere! Ebooks and physical copies can be found at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, I books Itunes... etc. 

(Editing)

**************************************************************

The sea breeze felt as a warm caress upon Elizabeth's skin as she stood on the white sands absorbing the heat that radiated down upon her upturned face. Her eyes closed, her mind at peace, she finished her prayer before opening her eyes to gaze about her, revealing the pirate standing across the beach, leaning against a palm tree, his gorgeous, iris eyes trained firmly upon her. Elizabeth quickly dropped her shy gaze to the sands, wondering if God could possibly bless a relationship between herself and the stunning, pirate captain. Uncertainty crept in, as Elizabeth's lady had repeatedly advised against such a thing, yet, Elizabeth felt strongly drawn to the man in spite of her lady's repeated warnings.

Knowing she should respect Lady Arianna's wishes, Elizabeth looked up at the pirate longingly, before setting her mind to carry out her duties and trust God to lead her where He would. The winds that buffeted the island continuously created small windrows upon the sand, causing Elizabeth to drag her eyes from ogling the gorgeous man to watch where she trod as she set out to procure fresh water for her lady's evening rituals. As maid to her lady, Elizabeth always tried to anticipate Arianna's needs, though that was proving more difficult as the days went by, every day seeming to pull her away from her tasks and push her towards the gorgeous pirate that had sailed into her life so recently.

Firmly setting her mind to her chores, Elizabeth lifted the skin she would fill with freshwater, making her way into the jungle's lush growth to seek the pool hidden within. Her skin cooled as she entered the canopy, now being shaded from the warm sunlight, she purposely sought out patches of brightness that shone through the trees here and there along the path. Feeling a delicious warmness creep over her, a warmth that had nothing to do with the occasional radiances, Elizabeth felt eerily as though she were being watched. She stopped and looked all about her, smiling slightly as she saw the pirate stealthily making his way towards her through the thick growth of the jungle.

Elizabeth waited on the pathway, feeling joy at the chance to spend a few moments alone with him, yet feeling also a small bit of trepidation in knowing her lady would not approve. Her excitement and joy overtook the trepidation as he neared, his engaging smile brightening, spreading to his eyes as he came closer to where she stood. The pirate took the water skin from her hand to carry it for her as they began walking side by side on the trail in the direction of the stream fed pool they both knew to be out ahead of them. Not one word was spoken between them until reaching the clear water, whereupon the pirate filled the skin for her before setting it down on the ground at their feet. He gestured to a smooth boulder at the water's edge and once she was seated he went down on one knee before her. Taking her hand into his own, the handsome pirate pleaded, "Betsy, Betsy, come away with me."

Elizabeth opened her mouth to agree, but to her frustration, he then began to fade as a wisp in the wind as she tried her best to hold onto the intoxicating dream. She called out to him desperately, seeking all around her, but alas, he had faded completely away.

A deep feeling of loss coming over her, Betsy woke to the sound of Cook industriously banging his pots and pans, the smell of frying pork already permeating the tent where she slept. Carmelita was there, pulling her away from the dream that had left her feeling bereft.