Chapter 25

The music is so much better than I thought it would be.

Not to say I thought it would be bad, but this is incredible.

The warm air itself seems to be in rythme with the music, the people around us all subconsciously swaying to the beat. The vendors are selling their products and eyeing the stage, trying not to miss a thing.

The song ends and I'm only now aware of the heat beating down on me. My jean short shorts and red plaid button up doing nothing to shield me from the heat, despite my shirt being sleeveless. I feel my scalp sweating underneath my twin braids, my hands damp.

But another song starts, and I forget about my discomfort.

My hands are over my head, my body swaying to the beat. Jessica grabs my hand and we begin dancing to the music.

We've been at this for hours, but neither of us are ready to leave.

The food is divine, the drinks refreshing, and the music keeps us moving.

I don't want to leave.

The song ends and Jessica and I make our way to yet another vendor. This one is selling cowboy boots and hats. I pluck a straw hat off a table and place it on my head, turning to Jessica.

"Yay or nay?" I ask, posing.

She laughs and nods her head, "Yay," she says between giggles.

I take another, this one a light pink, and place it on her head with matching braids.

She strikes up a pose and I giggle at her silliness.

"Yay or nay?" She asks.

I nod my head, "Yay."

I turn to the owner and pay for the hats, not minding the price.

"Let's take a picture for Kota and my mom," Jessica suggests.

I lead us away from the front of the booth and to the side where there are less people walking.

I take out my phone and hold it out, but our hats are too big and my arms are too short.

Jessica frowns and surveys the crowd. Her eyes light up and she steps forward, waving her hands to signal a girl near her age, "Excuse me," she says politely but loudly.

The girl stops and looks at Jessica with startlement.

Jessica continues, "Can you take a picture for us?"

The girl relaxes and looks around, but for what, I don't know. She nods and steps up, taking my phone and stepping back near the crowd.

Jessica and I wrap our arms around each other and smile wide.

The girl takes a few pictures and smiles at us, walking back and handing over my phone.

"Thank you," I tell her, but she just turns around and melts into the crowd.

"That was weird," Jessica says.

I nod my agreement. "Maybe she doesn't like talking to strangers."

Jessica still looks after the girl, even though she's long gone, "Or maybe she just doesn't want to talk to us."

The thought is unsettling. I didn't think Jessica and I looked that threatening.

I shake it off and turn back to her, "Let's send this to Kota and your mom."

I look down, having to turn the brightness up on my phone so I can see, and I send the picture to Erica first, then Kota.

I add on a message to Kota.