Chapter 19

I wake up to the click of the doorhandle.

The scent of moss and berries wafts into the room and I smile into the pillow.

Carefully I lift the covers behind me and slide out, trying not to disturb Jessica.

I back away slowly, closing the door behind me.

Victor smiles down at me and I feel my heart skip, but then the feeling is overshadowed as I realize what time must be nearing.

"When do we leave?" I whisper as we walk down the hall.

I only managed a few hours of sleep, but I feel more rested than I have been in days. However, my body aches, each step taking too much energy.

We enter the living room when he finally answers, "An hour. I figured I'd give you time to eat and get ready."

As if on cue, my stomach grumbles.

Victor chuckles and leads me into the kitchen, where a plate of rough looking eggs sit, with a glass of orange juice and some partially burnt toast.

"This is what happens when I try to cook," Victor says sheepishly.

I smile and reach up on my tiptoes, kissing him on the cheek, "You did a fine job. Thank you."

His cheeks grow red and I smile wider, sitting down at the counter and happily eating.

It actually doesn't taste too bad, despite the looks.

"What's going to happen?" I ask softly in between bites of toast.

Victor sighs and drums his fingers against the counter like it's a keyboard, "They'll probably want you to start the Academy training you didn't get to, and they'll be looking at potential teams for you to join." Victor looks uncomfortable.

I hear what he's not saying, "They'll be looking at girl teams for me." The eggs start to taste bad in my mouth.

He sighs again, "Yes."

I take another bite and swallow before continuing. "What am I suppose to do?"

Victor looks uncomfortable and he shifts in his chair, "I don't know, Princess."

I finish my food and clear my plate in silence.

I don't want the Academy to take me away from them. I don't want another obstacle.

Victor sees my worry and he stops my cleaning, making me look at him.

"We're not going to be separated. We're not going to let that happen." His words are sure but his eyes tell a different story. He's doubtful.

I pretend not to see it, and nod my head, agreeing with him.

"You should probably get changed. Kota ran over to Nathan's and found some clothes you left. They're on his bed."

Thank you, Kota.

I kiss Victor's cheek again and hurry up the stairs.

As I change, my stomach's in knots. I try to convince myself that nothing will happen, that I'll stay with my family, but there's this doubt. We bought ourselves time two years ago at that camp during winter break, but now we don't have an Ashley Waters excuse.

There's no reason for me to stay with my family now.

It's still too soon for us to tell the Academy about our relationship plan, everyone too raw and hesitant to say something irreversible.

I head downstairs and smile at Victor again.

What if this is the last time we're actually family?

Repairing the Hurtजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें