Chapter 18

Kota's house is a whirlwind of activity.

The others beat us there, and they were all waiting in the driveway when we pulled up.

They all hugged me fiercly, then swore when they saw the blood on my shoulder and the swelling on my face. Then they hugged me again.

Eventually we make it into the house where Erica is still at work and Jessica is still sleeping.

Upon this revelation, I realize how tired I am. It's early morning, the sky just beginning to break.

I'm hungry, too.

I nudge North, whose arms are around me and he lets me go to take a shower.

I don't bother asking Kota, knowing he won't mind.

They all notice when I leave, but don't question it.

I climb the stairs to Kota's room and collect some of his pajamas, not caring that it's morning, and turn on the water.

I quickly unwrap my hands and feet, wincing at my feet, and jumping under the warm spray of water.

My whole body aches from being thrown around all night, and I carefully wash my cuts and scrapes, and gently around my stitches.

Carefully washing my hair to avoid getting shampoo in my wounds, I turn off the water and stand there for a moment.

We finished the job, but there's still so much to do. There's still so much hurt within the family that needs to be mended.

I grab a towel and exit the shower, putting on Kota's clothes and dropping my own into his hamper.

Making my way downstairs, the conversation the boys are having dulls a bit as they watch me enter the kitchen and grab two bags of frozen vegetables.

Eight eyes follow me as I walk in. Owen still won't look at me. I try not to dwell on it, and I move on to sit on the ground by Gabriel. I adjust my vegetables and lay down on my back, a bag pressing against my shoulder, and another against my face.

They watch me the whole time.

"Baby, you'll be more comfortable on the couch," North protests.

I'm so not moving, "I'm fine, North," I respond, a small smile playing on my lips.

"Baby," he says.

"North," I say back.

"That doesn't look comfortable."

"After the night I've had, I'm going to be uncomfortable wherever I am." I close my eyes and just lay there.

"So what now?" I hear Luke ask.

"Now Mr. Blackbourne contacts the Academy and we collect our favors," Kota answers, "then we enjoy the day off."

"While we have the day off, Miss Sorenson does not," Owen says from beside Sean, still covered in dirt and grime.

"What the fuck do you mean? Have you seen her?" North bellows.

"Jessica," I remind him, quieting him immediately.

"Miss Sorenson is overdue for a meeting with Academy heads. She was still part of the job at Ashley Waters, and that bought us some time. Time's up."

I feel the tension rise in the room, and I try to stay calm.

I don't want to be forced from them, and certainly not into a girl group.

"You mean they're going to try and put her on a bird team?" Luke really is a mind reader.