Well Dammit

The car ride wasn't too bad, silence apart from the buzzing of Maxx and I's phones. Cody, a few weeks ago, set up a group chat and that's how we communicate with each other if we're out doing other things. "Who're you talking to?" Sean asked. "Maxx and I's friends." "Are they like how Simon was or are they just friends?" I winced a little bit, my mom always knew how I felt toward Simon and vice versa. She was always a little hostile about the situation. "Mom, I haven't seen you in a month, can we talk about this another time?" She scoffed and turned into a parking lot of a lowkey fancy restaurant. Maxx's hand found mine and he squeezed it. "Remember I'm right beside you tonight." I smiled up at the blonde male and he smiled back at me.

Dinner wasn't as bad as the car ride. Sean and I were able to get along just fine. "Have a good night." We walked back out to the car and my phone started to buzz from a call. Maxx looked at me in confusion as why I wasn't answering. It is Cody. "Answer it, Shay could've hurt him again." My stomach exploded into a frenzy and I hesitantly answered it. "Cody what's up?" He sniffled. "When are you getting back?" I could hear the hurt in his voice. "We just have to go to the store and we'll be back. Did she do something?" He sounded curt, "We'll talk about it when you get back." His voice cut out and I knew he hung up. "What's wrong?" Maxx asked. "He sounded hurt, I just know Shay fucked with him again." Maxx sighed and squeezed my hand to calm me down. "What are you getting at the store Lia?" Mom inquired, eyeing me carefully. "Some hygiene stuff and hair dye I guess. Maxx you want anything?" He shrugged. "Snacks and I guess I'll get hair dye too." Mom nodded and she drove to the store. "How long is the walk from here to the school?" Mom asked, looking impatient. "About 5 minutes." She held out money, "Here's 30 bucks, that should last you long enough, walk back to school and I'll see you Christmas." Maxx raised his eyebrow and closed the door after getting out. She drove off and we walked silently into the store. "Why did she just drive off?" "Probably going back home or to a hotel to mess around with Sean. It happened a lot when I was with Simon and she drove us around."

We got back to the school after we shopped for necessities. We dropped everything off in our room and went to Cody's. Before I raised my fist up to the door, Cody had already opened it and pulled us inside. He had dried tear tracks on his face and a scowl on his face. Maxx sat on my old bed and motioned for me to say something. "Cody what happened?" I asked hesitantly. "My sister, she died 2 hours ago. She got really sick and didn't call me. The hospital called me a little bit ago and told me she passed away. I have no family left." I noticed that Shay isn't in here comforting him. "And to make shit worse! Shay said I deserved the loss of my family. I have no idea why I took her back after last time." Tears filled his eyes once more and I reached out to him for a hug. He sobbed into my shoulder and I just silently hugged him. I didn't know what to do. He doesn't deserve this at all. "Cody you didn't do anything to deserve this. I know this is hard for you and I will do my best to make things easier for you. If you want, I can talk to my mom and see if she'll take you in for awhile." He shook his head and pulled away. "I talked to the Dean. He and his husband offered to take me in for awhile, maybe forever." Maxx gasped, "The Dean's gay?" Cody nodded. "Yeah, and Mr. Iero is his husband."