- 32 -

I'm running

I'm running. I don't know where I'm running off to but I'm running. I feel like I'm running away from something but I don't know exactly what it is. All I know is that I'm running full speed down this black tunnel that is lined with poorly lit ceiling lights. The gloomy atmosphere only intensifying my terror making me timid that my darkest fears will come to life. I can't help but to continuously glance over my shoulder making sure it's not catching up to me. I feel myself losing stamina but I don't break my speed. My fear ignited inside of me gives me the adrenaline to keep going at record-breaking speed. The dread that I feel of allowing whatever it is behind me has me sweating more than my accelerated sprinting does. All I know is that I can't let it catch up to me.

Where I'm running through is dark even though there are yellow foggy lights that line this tunnel allowing me to see just the bare minimum in order to continue this pursuit I seem to be in. Whatever is lurking behind is making me incredibly nervous. I'm continuously checking over my shoulder to make sure whatever it is hounding me down hasn't reached me yet. It may look as if I'm running from nothing but the dust that my feet kick behind me but I feel it coming. It's catching up with me and I fret eventually I will fall victim in this pursuit. This heavy dark shadow now taunting me waiting for my endurance to weaken. My senses heighten as I become overwhelmed by the maliciousness of whatever it hunting me down.

Before I felt this presence in the far distance but gradually over time it's catching up with me. The closer it gets the more I pick up my speed because I know when it does reach me I'll crumble in terror. I want to reach the end of this tunnel so I can escape the demon behind me but the distance seems infinite. I glance behind me noticing the dim ceiling lights in the tunnel are shutting off one by one. The sounds of a light bulbs shattering in sequence. The panic I have increases knowing if I don't escape this I will be alone in this pitched black tunnel with this demon. My heart thumping against my chest, my breathing growing heavy and my nerve. Now I'm faced to race against these lights and run away from the predator that's out for me. I may be in the lead for now but I feel like that won't last for long.

It's closer now, I feel it. I don't even need to look back to tell that it's not too far behind. I want to look back but the trepidation of seeing the creature that's been after me for some time now has me second guessing. It's so close that I can now hear the hunger in its voice as it continues this high-speed chase with me. It's almost like a snarl maybe almost like a growl that I can hear from the distance. It's coming for me. I don't know what else to do. This metallic smell fills my nostrils and I also start to taste it in my mouth. My palms feel drenched so I hold them in front of my realizing they are drenched in blood. I scream trying to shake the blood off of my hands but it is no use. As I continue to run I notice blood running down the walls as it covers the names of my many people that have fallen victim to these very own hands of mines. Some sense of guilt comes over me even though I try to justify every kill I made. I can't take it back now. It's too late.