Deadly Lies- Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

            "What's wrong?"

            "I can't get anything passed you, can I?" John asked, his voice low yet sweet. "I was looking through some reports about the Darcel case."

            "Did you find anything?" I asked, glad to be talking about something truly important. John sighed and I pictured him running a hand through his soft hair.

            "Not yet."

            "Would you like me to help?" I asked suddenly eager to get out of the house. The walls were weighing down on me and it felt as though the pictures were holding me by the throat.

            "No Sophie, please go to sleep. I don't want you to be late and inattentive in class." John said, but I shook my head at his words.

            "Two pairs of eyes are better than one." I said biting my lip.

            "That may be true, but not when those eyes are awake at one in the morning."

            "Doesn't someone have work today as well?" I asked rubbing my right eye.

            "Yes, but I'm doing my job at the moment." He said despairingly. "Tell me Sophie."

            "What?" I asked caught off guard by his demand. The line was silent for a few seconds, but that was more than enough time for the blood to pour into my ears. 

            "Please, tell me what's wrong." His words were sincere and demanding.

            "I can't get anything passed you, can I?" I teased, but my voice shook.

            "Sophie." He insisted, his voice that of a parents.

            Not knowing what to say, I let out a slow sigh and ran a hand through my hair. Tell him! He would want you to tell him. Tell him! TELL HIM!  

            "It's probably just a joke." I scolded my mind.

            "What's a joke?" John asked and my heart seized up.

            "Nothing." My quick response was sharp and screamed terror.

            "I'll be right there."

            Before I could say anything, the phone line died and I sat there listening to the dial tone. Placing the phone onto my night stand, I fell onto the bed. Curling into myself, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I felt shivers crawl over my naked skin as a warm breeze caressed my skin. My eyes flew open as I stared down at my semi clothed body. Rushing to my closet, I pulled on a pair of shorts and a white t-shirt.

             Blood thumped in my ears as something rattled against my window. Whirling around, I froze at the sound of my window opening and stared at the moving glass. I dropped down to my knees and watched as a figure ambled into my room. I pressed my hand to my mouth, stifling any noise.  

            "Sophie?" A familiar voice asked and I stood up, quickly distinguishing the body.

            "How did you open the window?" I asked, my heart thumping with joy, I jumped out of my hiding area and ran towards him.

            "It was already open." He whispered, enveloping me with his arms. I clasped my hands around his neck as my heart lurched at his words. The lock was broken, someone most definitely was in here. John moved his hands up to my shoulders and pushed back to look into my eyes.