Deadly Lies- Chapter 8

I chewed on my lower lip as John's words sunk in. Rubbing my eyes, I couldn't find it within me to speak. Time escaped me as I tried to process what was said. Gripping onto his hand I felt my heart swell with fear. This was no longer just a game of anonymous phone calls and photos, it was now reality.

            "John." I mumbled looking down at my feet. I felt arms wrap around my waist, bringing me to him. My heart rate picked up as I came to a realization.

            "I'm scared." I whimpered into his neck. All of the tears, fears and panic that I had buried deep within myself, were now overflowing the container holding them in.

            "I can't. I'm afraid of death, but I'm more scared of losing you. Just the sheer thought frightens me. It feels like everything is against us and I can't do a single thing about it-" I took a deep breath and felt the flow of tears increase.

            "-I'm scared for my family, Why does this keep happening to us. John I can't- I don't know what to do, I-"

            I was pulled away from Johns soft body and my tear filled eyes met a pair of storming blue ones. I looked away, not wanting to debase myself any lower.

            "Look at me, Sophie." Johns voice was low and commanding. I wiped away my tears with the back of my hand and looked up.

            "Listen to me," John said locking his stern eyes onto mine, "I give you my word, as your friend, lover and protector- nothing and I mean absolutely nothing will happen to either you or your family. I will lay my life down every single time you or your family are brought into harm's way."

            More tears sprang to my eyes, but these were different tears, these were a mix of love and fear of loss. I watched as his fists, hanging by his sides, began to shake and the veins in his neck looked just about to burst. Placing a hand on his cheek, I swiped at the tears again.

            "I promise you Sophie, I will not allow for any harm to come to you. I will die before-" I pressed my hand against his soft lips. I knew that John wouldn't let anyone hurt me and that only made me want to cry further. The knowledge that this amazing man was mine sent my heart into a frenzy. I wanted to respond, but I knew I wouldn't be able to speak without sounding like a blubbering fool.

            Instead, I pressed my lips against his and let my love for him, the fear of the future and the awareness of today flow through the kiss. Lacing my fingers into his soft hair, I pulled away to look John in the eyes. Although neither of us said it, the three little words were evident in both of our eyes. John moved a strand of hair behind my ear and wiped away the final tears with his  long fingers. Standing quietly, I knew that I had to tell John about the phone calls and Sam.

            "Would you like to come over for dinner?" I asked and busied myself with flattening out his uniforms collar, although it was already pin straight. He grabbed my hands and smiled, his gorgeous face lighting up.

            "I'd love to." He whispered and placed a final kiss upon my cheek.

*~*~*~*

            "Sophie, Adam!" I heard mother yell from the kitchen. Father looked at me, then raised an eyebrow and I chuckled at his goofy expression. We got off the couch and made our way into the kitchen which smelled of delicious chicken and homemade cookies. Before either of us could say anything, she jumped on us with the good china in her hands.

            "You two set the table, I'll be brining the food out in a second." She said flustered.

            "Mom," I laughed taking the plates from her, "It's John, not the Queen of England." My comment wasn't acknowledged as mom went back into the kitchen and started stirring a pot.