Chapter 45

Thanks for your votes and comments on the last chapter! 👍🤗 Time to let the gang work a bit more on their plan... Here they go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tris

I walk around in the hallways until it is time to go to Zeke. I was hoping to find Tobias in the training rooms, cause it would be a lot like him to go there, but he must have gone somewhere else. Even when I arrive at Zeke's apartment, he isn't there yet. One by one, everyone else arrives. We're a group of pale faces this afternoon, shock and fear written into our features.

Christina hugs me again, and this time I let her. It's so different from the happy, excited embrace she pulled me in earlier, just moments before everything turned upside down.

Tobias is the last to make it through the door, and I don't know why I'm so deeply relieved to see him. What did I fear that might have happened to him? I basically rush into his arms and inhale his scent.

Once we're all gathered around the table in the living room, just like every other time we've met here, nobody dares to speak. It's as if whoever says it out loud will be the one to make the threat more real.

Zeke finally clears his throat in order to begin when we're disturbed by an urgent knock on the door.

The silence hangs over us, loud, until there's another insistent knock.

"You're waiting for someone?" Tobias whispers to Zeke and Shauna, and they both shake their heads.

Another knock.

"I know you're in there. I won't leave until you let me in!"

I know that voice. And I'm sure she means what she says. She can be quite persistent, I've come to know.

"Go and open the door," I tell Zeke.

He looks unsure, his gaze wandering between Shauna, Tobias and me. Tobias looks at me, too, staring into my eyes, thinking.

"Yeah, let her in," he finally states. He must have come to the same conclusion.

Hesitantly, Zeke stands up and walks over to the door. Lauren takes one look at him and quickly steps inside.

"So, tell me what's going on here. What are you up to?"

We shoot questioning glances at each other. Are we going to let her in on the secret?

"Don't tell me you're celebrating, I won't take that. You all look scared, and I know you know something I don't. I want to know what it is."

"How did you find us?" Uriah asks, playing for time, maybe, or he's just curious.

"I followed Four around after what happened in the pit. It wasn't hard to grasp there was something out of the ordinary." Lauren turns to Tobias. "You hardly show emotions, and then I saw how you looked at Tris and Zeke, so I sneaked along behind you to see where you were going. And it's not that you usually spend a lot of time down in the chasm, I suppose."

Tobias swallows. It must be difficult for him to accept that it was him leading her here, even if it wasn't on purpose.

Suddenly, all attention turns to me when Lauren asks the group whether they trust me to decide if she is reliable enough to be told the truth.

What? Why me?

"I'll go and have a little chat with her, and then she can give you her opinion," she adds.