Chapter 40

Sorry this chapter took me so long, I'm currently travelling and have little access to the Internet at the moment. But here is the next chapter, and it's at least a bit longer than the last ones. Thanks for your patience!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tris

"Are you sure we're not walking too fast?" Tobias asks me for the third time since he picked me up from the infirmary.

"No, I already told you that I'm fine— twice."

"Yes, I remember, but I know how stubborn you can be."

I snort and shake my head as I continue walking home in front of him. I'm fine, except that I'm still tired. I'll need a coffee before going over to Zeke after dinner.

Tobias insists on cooking for me in his kitchen, so nobody will see me out in the cafeteria after my breakdown. In this case, 'cooking' means to warm up soup from a tin from his small supplies. I don't mind it, though, I'm simply looking forward to getting something into my rumbling stomach soon.

What I do mind is Tobias' overprotective behavior. He keeps treating me as if I was seriously sick, although there is nothing wrong with me. Defeated, I watch him work in the kitchen from the chair he placed me in, and I even stay seated when he begins to set the table for us.

"Will you at least let me cut the bread?"

"It's no problem, I can do it."

"It's no problem if I do it either."

"You should rest."

"I rested all afternoon, I'm fine. I don't feel any effect from the serum anymore."

"Shauna said you should take things slow tonight."

"Cutting bread into slices isn't the most exhausting activity I can think of."

I didn't notice getting up on my feet, but I find myself standing, facing Tobias.

"You're being as stubborn as only you can be," he says with a complimentary sigh as he hands me the wooden board with the bread and a knife.

"Really? You're not being stubborn tonight?" I reply, my eyes still looking up into his.

There's a moment of quiet tension before his muscles relax, and he rolls his eyes at me and starts shaking his head, humor suddenly crawling up on his face. I mirror his gestures with a smile, and the next thing I know is that we're holding each other tightly.

"I'll stop being stubborn if you stop, too. I don't want to argue with you," he says.

"Deal," I mumble into his chest, breathing in his scent. He's still a bit sweaty from training.

He kisses my hair and I feel his breath on my head, feel how his chest rises and falls. His heartbeat is soothingly steady and his arms fit around me perfectly.

Tobias is the first to move. His grip on my waist tightens the tiniest bit, and so does mine on his shoulders in response. It's enough to show each other that we're willing to forget about our argument. Instead, another fight begins, a more playful one about who can touch more of the other's body.

Tobias' hands are almost everywhere as he kisses me feverishly. I take off his sweatshirt and roam my hands over his naked skin hungrily, then pull my lips away from his to kiss his nipples and make him groan. I love to hear his lust, and the desire for him is stronger than any fear. He pulls my pullover over my head and takes off my bra before I'm back in his embrace and we're walking towards his bed in mini steps while we keep kissing and caressing each other.