Chapter 61

Hey, it's me again... I know it's been a long time since I last posted, longer than usual anyway. I didn't feel much like writing for a while, three people of my family had to go into hospital, one by one... talk about coincidence... Well, luckily everyone's fine again, so I've gone back to writing. I hope you can understand why there was this longer break.

I hope you like the new chapter, even if it's not that long. 😊

---------------------------------------------------------

Tobias

I'm still shocked by the revelation about Erudite's serum while I make my way back to Dauntless through Chicago, and a part of me doubts Evelyn's words. I wouldn't put it past her to play with me, to use words as a weapon to make me accept more of her selfless offers.

That's the point: Nothing Evelyn does is ever selfless. There's always something she wants in return.

In this case, it's a weekly lunch with me, at least for three months. I accepted her conditions because we really depend on her serum, and the extra knowledge she can provide us with doesn't hurt either. It's all for Tris.

I tried to argue with Evelyn and told her how a series of lunch dates won't change what I think of her escape from Abnegation. But, stubborn as she is, she insisted on it - 'to explain her side of the story'.

I can't wait...

So that's why I don't fully believe those things about the death serum: I hope it's just her way of dramatizing the situation to make us ask her for more support, so she could ask me for more favors in return.

Zeke and I were of the same opinion quickly: There'd be no way we'd let Evelyn blackmail any poor members of her factionless faction to risk their lives for us. The thing is: If it comes down to fighting, we know what Tris, Lynn and Uriah are capable of. We know their moves and strengths. They  know how to fight, whereas some malnourished factionless kids have probably no idea how to defend themselves properly.

There is only one person among the factionless that Zeke and I agreed to ask to join us - because we can offer him something real if we kick Max' and Eric's asses out of Dauntless leadership right into jail tonight. He's coming over to our meeting point outside the compound that we'll use to gather at before making our move against Jeanine.

Zeke and I separate for the way home in order to distract any possible followers who might be spying on us. I stop by the park I was training the initiates in two weeks ago. Walking among the trees full of colored leaves slows down my pulse. I go through each and every single step of our plan in a calm state of mind. This is at least something that I still have control over.

My rumbling stomach demands me to continue my path back to Dauntless. I haven't eaten much for lunch, sharing the table with Evelyn and her stories. 

Upon entering the cafeteria, I see Zeke and Lauren eating together. I avoid the reproachful look Zeke gives me. I know I didn't make it home as fast as I could have. Fortunately he won't be able to reprimand me for being late while we're down here amid the crowd.

I load my plate with food, a little bit of everything, before I join my friends. I shrug in an attempt to answer Zeke's unspoken question and then start to eat. It's a rather silent meal, and afterwards we leave one by one, only to meet again minutes later in Zeke's apartment. It is the last time we do that before we start our mission, before things can turn either way, for better or worse.

None of us took a rest, everyone had their own work to do during the day, and Lauren's was to recruit a new member: Tori. She has now joined our team, and I think her experience will be very helpful. At least she's been a member for a while now, she's had a lot more time to develop her skills than all the new members in this room that have been initiates until just a few days ago. They've hardly had to go through demanding situations outside of training.