Chapter 48

Tobias

"Well, we'll finally get those new training mats next month," I say, and Zeke nods.

There's another silence in our conversation that I don't know how to fill, so I take a sip of my coffee. Zeke does the same, but he sighs as he sets his mug back down on his living room table.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong or not?"

I'm startled.

"Why do you think something's wrong?"

"Cause you're my friend and I know you. You still seem to think you're a mystery to everyone, but you're not. You'd never come to visit me half an hour before we have to go to the control room just to talk about Chicago weather and training room equipment."

I close my hands around the warm mug in my hands and lean forward with my elbows on my knees. He's damn right, but I'm no longer sure if it was a good idea to come here.

"There was something I wanted to talk to you about, but I think I've changed my mind."

"Then I won't be able to help you, my friend."

Zeke shrugs, the movement so exaggerated that I have to stifle a laugh. Zeke being Zeke, he always finds a way to make me want to open up to him lately, even when I'm not convinced. But at the same time, I never end up being angry with him about it. On the contrary, most of the time I feel much lighter after talking to him, and this is why I came here in the first place.

"Okay, okay, you're right. Again. It's just... I don't know where to begin."

"Let me help you: It's about Tris."

I nod.

"And it's about sex?"

"Zeke!"

"Four!" He copies my exact tone and expression.

Honestly, how can he tell? I clear my throat.

"Uhm, we... had sex the night after initiation."

"That was easy to notice when looking at the two of you," he grins. "Was it good?"

"Yes, it was amazing." I hesitate. "At least for me. She told me how much she liked it, too, but..."

I'm running out of words as I'm getting more and more uncomfortable. This is between me and Tris. I should have started this conversation differently, on a less personal level.

"Oh, you mean she didn't come during your first time? Really, don't worry about that. It's normal. It was the same with Shauna and me, even if we each had experience when we got together. But we still had to get used to each other."

I release a breath I didn't know I was holding after he's finished speaking. He talks to me about his sex life with the same lightheartedness with which he talks to me about, well, Chicago weather and training room equipment. I envy how at ease he is with the topic.

Zeke, my goofy, sometimes extremely childish friend, manages to talk about sex like an adult, whereas I sit here with a flushed face and stammer my way around what I initially wanted to say.

"Does this information somehow help you?"

"Yes. — And after your first time, how long did it take to... get used to each other?"

"That's a good question. I can't really remember. It wasn't that long, since we couldn't keep our hands off each other. We often had sex, in many different places, and we experimented quite a lot."