Chapter 3: Saturday, 14 days until initiation

Tris

"Hey Tris, time to get up, or we'll be late!"

Someone is talking to me and softly shaking my shoulder. I grunt, but pull my head out from under the sheets. It feels so damn early in the morning. I open my eyes and look directly in Christina's already made up face. She smiles down at me happily.

"Come on Tris, it's already half past nine. We have training at ten, unless you want to do some extra exercise later because you were late." She grabs my hand and pulls me into an upright position. "I'm leaving for breakfast in five minutes, so if you would like to join me, hurry up. The others have already gone."

"Thanks for waking me up," I say as I rise from my bed.

I go to the bathroom to splash some water into my face. My skin looks pale and tired today from getting little sleep. I comb my hair and pull it back into a high ponytail so it won't be getting in the way during training. When I'm dressed and ready to go a few minutes later, Christina pinches my cheeks with her fingers.

"Girl, you need some color in your face. You still feel sick?" she asks.

I can't answer her with her fingers gripping my cheeks, so I just shake my head slightly.

"Well, now you look more vivid," Christina states, content with how her simple trick has worked to bring some color to my skin.

We have a quick breakfast with the other initiates before we head over to the training room section where we divide into two groups, transfers and Dauntless born. I glance around nervously as we enter the room, searching for Tobias, but he's not here yet. Christina follows my eyes.

"Who are you looking for?" she asks, furrowing her brows.

Her Candor background can be really annoying sometimes. She always seems to be able to read my body language.

"No one in particular," I hurry to say, "I just wanted to know who we have training with today."

"Well, and why do you look a little disappointed? Is it because 'no one' isn't here yet?"

She winks her eye at me and then turns her attention to Will, who has sneaked up behind her and tickles her waist. Christina jumps, but breaks into a huge smile when she sees who's touching her.

"Hey, what's up?" she laughs.

"There's live music at the bar tonight and some of us are going. You want to join us?"

"Sure, but don't startle me again."

Christina's voice turns all flirty when she starts a conversation with Will. Actually I'm glad for the interruption, so I don't have to answer any more of her unnerving questions. It's unbelievable how accurately she can shoot them at me when she's curious.

I observe her talking to Will. They laugh and smile at each other and occasionally touch. For them it seems so easy. I wish it would be the same for me and Tobias. But I have to focus on training now. Since we passed on to the second stage, we have to go through a simulation once every day, but the physical training is reduced to three obligatory sessions per week.

The chatter ebbs away when Tobias enters the room. My heart misses a beat at the sight of him. He peeks at me for a second, although his face gives nothing away.

"Initiates," he shouts. "Listen."

Immediately everyone falls silent and turns their head to him.

"Before we start training today, I have to fill you in on some new developments. As you all know, there have been some serious incidents lately regarding you, initiates. A stabbed eye, a serious fight," — he glares over to Peter and Drew — "and some attempts at blackmail in Lauren's group. Therefore, to not lose more of you to unnecessary injuries, Dauntless leadership has decided to allocate each of you an individual room to stay in until initiation. There are enough spare rooms throughout the compound, and we're currently getting them prepared so you can move in on Sunday evening."