Chap 3~ New Horizons

The cart bounced up and down, making my stomach churn uncomfortably. Reiko sat across from me, taking in the sights with almost infectious enthusiasm. Po, the driver, had remained silent for most of the journey, choosing not to utter a word the entire ride. Not that I tried to make any effort with a conversation.

Reiko seemed too preoccupied with gazing intently at the trees, which I found quite strange. The little woman was so innocent in her mannerisms, one might think she was an angel in disguise. A person so genuinely good and kind deserved happiness no matter what the cost.

Reiko decided to bring along a photo album along for the ride, reminiscing about "The Olden Golden Days." I noticed the soft look in her eyes and content smile on her face as she showed me the pictures. They were dusty and old, the edges worn and torn. On the front of the book was a white bird, carrying a bundle that looked like it was some sort of blanket. My brow furrowed as I tried to figure what exactly it was holding.

"What is that?"

Reiko turned to me, smiling brightly. "Why, that's a stork!" she giggled, pointing to the drawing. "And that's a baby!"

I blinked, tucking my hair behind my ear. Itachi once said I did that when I was nervous. At the thought, the only feeling that was present was anger. I scowled, but when Reiko's bubbling laughter pulled me back, my features immediately softened. I tried mimicking her's.

"I don't get it, why would a stork be carrying a baby?"

Then, Reiko launched into the stork–who I guess, drops off babies to mother's that really want them. The story didn't really make sense to me, seeing that were many mother's that I had known of that didn't care for their children. Why would the stork give them babies that they wouldn't love?

After finishing the fable, I just decided to disregard it but pretend like I was interested. I nodding, trying to feign understanding. I assumed it worked because Reiko shot me a dazzling smile and opened the book to resume admiring the photos.

"Ooh! Look, there he is! Golly, he was so cute back then," she trailed off, a distant look in her eyes.

I peered over at the book, suddenly curious. The shot was old, the sides yellowed with age. A little boy clutching a toy bear smiled at the camera, flashing a toothy grin. His two front teeth were missing, his hair tosseled–a random cowlick sticking up.

I smiled good-naturedly, my pointed teeth catching the light. "Is that your son?"

Reiko nodded, staring down at the picture and stroking it tenderly. "Yes, Kaito."

I pursed my lips, looking at the picture more closely. In the corner, a very young Reiko stands, hands on her hips. She glares teasingly at what I guess to be Makato holding the camera and taking the shot. She wears a pale brown apron, laden with white flour. Several more toys encircle her feet.

"Are you nervous?" I ask on a whim. Reiko looks at me like a deer caught in the headlights. I quickly try to give her a reassuring smile, but it just turns out be more . . . creepy looking. She adverts her gaze, sighing.

"I am. What if his family doesn't like me?"

I uncertainly reach out and touch her shoulder lightly. "Anyone who wouldn't like you isn't worth the time."

"When did you get to be so wise?" she chuckles sadly, looking at me.

A leaf flutters passed, brushing against my arm. I shrug, squirming under her warm gaze. Sometimes, I feel as if I don't deserve to be treated kindly by anyone as kind as Reiko. Her kindness shouldn't be wasted on someone like me. I know what I was sent here to do, what I was made for. And I assure you, it's not to bring world peace.