Chp 4~ Illusions Of My Life

"You're holding the kunai wrong . . . Again," Itachi reprimanded, his voice dull.

"Maybe if you taught me the right way, I wouldn't be holding it wrong!" I retorted.

"And maybe if you listened, you would know how to fight," he said calmly, looking bored.

"Watch it, Uchiha!" I bristled with anger. Why did he have to be so! Well, collected!

He handed me back the kunai, his eyes burning into my back as I turned around to throw it at the target. I mumbled curses under my breath, crude words of criticism. He crossed his arms, peering at me with cool eyes.

"Throw it at the tree, hit the target, and we'll be done, understand?"

"Fine," I huffed. His arid attutide was starting to get on my nerves. I hastily grabbed the kunai and chucked it at the tree. It didn't even scrap the bark. It embedded itself in the ground right before it hit the stump. I groaned in aggravation, tossing my head back.

"See-" Itachi began.

"Shut up, Uchiha! I get it, I'm weak! You don't have to point out the obvious!" I sighed. My voice held emotion in it, but wasn't very loud.

His face remained expressionless, but his eyes seemed to flicker for a moment. I studied him, my judging gaze scouring over every crevice etched onto his face. He stared back with his intense orbs, but I didn't  flinch. I couldn't.

"Again," he ordered after a moment of silence.

 His voice broke the dead air. I bent down to go pick up the kunai, but just as my fingertips grazed the handle, a sudden force made me stumble into a tree. My own kunai was pressed to my neck. Itachi stood not a foot away, his melancholy face complementing mine.

"Never turn your back on the enemy, Mayumi," he whispered in my ear.

I shivered, and pried myself away from his grasp.

"Who said you're the enemy? After all, you are the one that is supposed to be teaching me."

"If you weren't so stubborn, maybe I could teach you," he replied breezily.

"Stop acting like you know so much, Itachi," I growled.

I heard him scoff, and I stomped my way back to the hideout. I opened the door, slamming it behind me, and rushed off to the balcony I had found the day before.

Itachi's POV

I watched as she stormed off, leaving me in the dust. She didn't understand the way of the ninja. I huffed, and picked up the kunai she had thrown. The blade was embedded deep within the ground, but I had no problem plucking it out.

I walked back to where she was standing, and launched the kunai at the tree. It landed on mark nearly every time, and I almost instantly felt a wave of anger leave my shoulders. I repeated this again and again, and eventually my arms got sore. A pair of foot prints and a chakra signature alerted me that my partner was there.

"Itachi, you're never go to be able to train her  if you don't even understand her," Kisame said. Though he could prove to be pompous sometimes, he was really quite observant.

 Still, I didn't even bother turning around, and continued throwing the kunais. He doesn't even undertsand me, no one does, so what does he think he's saying? I rolled my eyes inwardly, and walked over to retrieve the kunai.

"Are you trying to burn off your anger with fighting? Trust me, it doesn't work, I've tried it before. If anything, it makes you even more confused."