Midoria's Heart 15 - The Journey Ahead

Comincia dall'inizio

It was vital that I move on, because only then would I be able to focus on what was truly important; the constant threat of coming Darkness looming on the horizon. The attack on the castle had proved the need for us to find some way to re-seal Kamen. Otherwise, the Kingdom was more or less doomed.

Kamen was the single most powerful Aerian in our history, excepting Midoria. No one really knew how he had come across his power. It seemed unlikely that he was born wielding such awesome might, especially knowing what I knew. His power was of a Dark and twisted nature; however I suspected that it had not always been that way. How else would Midoria and he have been lovers? No, something had happened to change him. This realization startled me for some reason, and I wondered: if one could be driven to Darkness, could they also be pulled back into the salvation of Light? Was it possible that those who were lost to hate and evil could be saved? To me, it seemed likely. After all, if things could go in one direction, then they must be able to go in the other. This thought, small and strange as it might be, brought a spark of hope back into my heart.

If there was even a miniscule chance that Kamen could be freed of his Dark binds, then there was a chance that this Kingdom could be saved as well. My hope was frail, for I had not even the slightest idea of how to save one's soul from the Darkness; however it had budded firmly in my heart, like the tiny seeds my grandfather once planted that grew into strong and proud trees. This hope gave me the answer I had been searching for not an hour ago, standing like a lost child in the rain high on this mountain top. There did not need to be a meaning to life, and the only point of living was to live. Live strong and free, live for the joy and love that friends and family brought to you, and give some back to them and others in return. If the ones I loved could pick my broken soul up off the ground then there was no reason that I could not do the same for others.  

Now that I knew this, I knew also what I had to do. There was no time any longer to mourn for my grandfather's death. I could no longer sit around moping and looking for a point in living. It was an insult to his memory, for while in this state I was not truly living at all, and he had given up his life so that I could. All of those brave men who had lost their lives in the battle had done so to protect this Kingdom and its people, and it was time that I did my part. No more sitting around, waiting for the Darkness to come to me while I fretted about what to do. It was time to take action and make change myself. Getting up and brushing myself off, I unfurled my wings. I took off, soaring through the cloudy grey sky; all the while a feeling of purpose spreading through me like wildfire. There was something I needed to do, and it required immediate attention. First, I must speak to my grandmother about my plan. Then, I needed to find Lisimi, and possibly Jay and Daniel as well. I could not undertake this responsibility alone; I needed help.

~♥~

My grandmother's harsh stare penetrated deep inside me, almost as though she could see into my very soul. After several long moments of silence, she finally spoke.

"You're absolutely certain?" Her voice was grave, filled with worry, uncertainty and even a small hint of fear.

"Yes grandmother. I have seen it again and again in my dreams. If I don't do this, the seal will disintegrate and Kamen will be free to wreak havoc on our Kingdom." She turned around and stared out the window into the swirling grey sky.

"Why must it be you? Surely there are others who can do this."  

"Maybe so, but Midoria's spirit has been coming to me in dreams. Not you, not anyone else, but me. I don't know why, but I have to do this."

"She won't be alone," a new voice interjected. I turned around to see Lisimi, Jay, Daniel and Evreth at the door. I smiled in welcome, and Lisimi continued, "We will be with her the whole time, your Majesty. We would never allow anything to happen to her." My grandmother pondered this, before turning her steely eyes towards Jay and Daniel and then glancing at me, "You are going to Midoria's original temple, are you not?" I nodded in reply.