Father's Day Pt. 4

Start from the beginning

"Street corner. I'd lost my purse. Didn't have money for a taxi," Sarah continued.

"I took her home,"

"Then what? Asked her for a date?" Tiaalen asked

"Wrote his number on the back of my hand," Sarah said

Stuart smiled "Never got rid of her since. My dad said..." he faltered. Sara's lip trembled. The Reapers screeched outside.

"I don't know what this is all about. And I know we're not important..." Sarah said tearful.

"Who said you're not important?" Tia questioned in shock.

Sarah looked back at her, tears in her eyes.

"I've travelled to all sorts of places. Done things you couldn't even imagine, but...you two...street corner. Two in the morning. Getting a taxi home. I've never had a life like that. Yes." Tiaalen smiled "I'll try and save you,"

Sarah smiled back at Tia through her eyes.

***

Rose sat in a side room with her dad. She sniffed, still a little tearful.

Pete was still trying to get his head around all that was going on "I'm a dad. I mean, I'm already a dad, but...Rose grows up, and she's you. That's wonderful. I suppose I thought that you'd be a bit, useless, what, with my useless genes and all, but..."

Rose laughed slightly. Pete was fascinated by her.

"How did you get here?" Pete asked

"Do you really wanna know?" Rose asked

"Yeah!"

"A time machine,"

"Time machine," Pete said stunned.

"Cross my heart," Rose said smiling.

"What, do they all have time machines where you come from?" Pete asked smiling.

"Nah, just the Doctor and Tia,"

"Did you know these things were coming?"

"No,"

"God, I dunno, my head's spinning," Pete said incredulous.

Rose looked down.

"What's the future like?" Pete asked

"It's not so different,"

"What am I like? Have I gone grey?" Pete laughed. Rose didn't answer, she just watched him. Pete's smile faded slightly. "Have I gone bald? Don't tell me I've gone bald,"

Rose still didn't answer. Pete cleared his throat, clearly wrong-footed.

"So, if this mate of yours isn't your boyfriend, and I have to say, I'm glad because being your dad and all, I think he's a bit old for you..." Pete continued.

Rose laughed.

"Have you got a bloke?" Pete asked.

"No, I did have..." Rose said

There were running footsteps and Jackie's voice rang out in the background.

"Mickey!" Jackie called out.

Mickey ran up to Rose and threw his arms around her legs, eyes tight shut.

"Do you know him?" Pete asked

"I just didn't recognize him in a suit...you'll have to let go of me, sweetheart..." Rose told Mickey.

Mickey turned to Jackie, who had now joined them.

"I'm always saying that..." Rose said under breath.

Jackie put her arms around Mickey's shoulders "He just grabs hold of what's passing and holds on for dear life. God help his poor girlfreind if he ever gets one,"

"Me and Rose were just talking..." Pete said

"Oh, yeah? Talking? While the world comes to an end, what do you do? Cling to the youngest blonde,"

Rose looked upset but didn't speak.

"Come on, Mick," Jackie took Mickey's hand and lead him away. Pete made to follow, but Rose grabbed his arm to stop him.

"You can't tell her," Rose said.

"Why?" Pete asked

"I mean...I really don't want you to tell her,"

"What, do you don't want people to know?"

"Where I come from, Jackie doesn't know how to work the timer on the video recorder,"

"I showed her that last week," Pete grinned.

Rose nodded. Pete stopped grinning.

"Point taken," Pete said

***

The Doctor was talking to baby Rose in her carry-tot, Tiaalen sat next to him. "Now, Rose...you're not gonna bring about the end of the world, are you? Are you?" he asked sternly.

Baby Rose stared innocently up at him. 19 year old Rose jpined them. Tia glanced at her only to look away. "Jackie gave her to me to look after. How times change,"

"I'd better be careful. I think I just imprinted myself on Mickey like a mother chicken," Rose said tearful, but trying to make light-hearted conversation. She reached out to the baby, but found herself hitting an invisible force.

"Don't touch the baby," Tiaalen said.

The Reapers outside distracted Rose for a moment, as they screeched particularly loudly.

"You're both the same person and that's a paradox, and we don't want a paradox happening. Not with these things outside. Anything new, andy disturbance in time makes them stronger. The paradox might let them in," The Doctor explained

"Can't do anything right, can I?"

"Since you ask, no." Tia said sharply "So, don't...touch...the...baby,"

Rose narrowed her eyes "I'm...not...stupid,"

Tiaalen scoffed "You could've fooled me,"

Rose looked away, stung.

"Tiaalen that's enough," The Doctor scolded

Tia opened her mouth to say something but just shook her head, storming off.

"I haven't got a plan." The Doctor admitted "No idea,"

Rose looked at him intently.

"No way out," the Doctor said.

"You'll think of something," Rose said quietly.

"The entire Earth is being sterilized. This, and other place like it, are all that's left of the human race. We might hold out for a while, but nothing can stop those creatures." the Doctor looked at the shadows circling the church. "They'll get through in the end. The wall aren't that old. And there's nothing I can do to stop them. There used to be laws stopping this kind of thing from happening, my people would have stopped this. But they're all gone. And now I'm going the same way,"

"If I'd realized..."

The Doctor looked at Rose. She met his eyes. "Just...tell me you're sorry,"

Rose's gaze didn't falter "I am. I'm sorry," she said sincerely.

The Doctor reached out to her, cupping a hand around her face. Then, he grinned and pulled her in for a hug. She returned the embrace with equal vigour. After a few moment, Rose pulled away, feeling inside the Doctor's jacket pocket.

"Have you got something hot?" Rose asked

There was a sizzling sound as she took the TARDIS key out of the Doctor's pocket. She gasped and dropped it. Tehy both looked at it-it was glowing brightliy.

"It's the TARDIS key!" The Doctor took off his jacket, using it to pick up the hot key. "It's telling me it's still connected to the TARDIS!"