The Long Game Pt. 2

The six of them were now joined by several others in a room, where their work took place. There was a chair in the middle of a raised octagonal platform in the middle of the room, around which the staff was sitting cross-legged. In front of them were pads on which to place their hands. The Doctor, Tiaalen, Rose, and Adam stood leaning against some railings at the side of the room. Cathica was in the middle of the octagonal platform. She addressed the room.

"Now. Everybody behave. We have a management inspection." Cathica looked at the Doctor "How do you want it? By the book?"

"Oh, right from scratch, thanks," The Doctor replied.

Cathica turned away. The Doctor and Rose smirked at each other.

"Okay, so, ladies, gentlemen, multisex, undecided or robot, my name is Cathica Santini Kadainy. That's Cathica with a 'C', in case you want to write to Floor 500 praising me, and please...do..."

The Doctor grinned, giving a non-committal jerk of his head.

"Now, please feel free to ask any questions. The process of news gathering must be open, honest, and be non-biased. That's company policy," Cathica turned to smile at the Doctor. The Doctor nodded.

"Actually...it's the law," Suki reported, also smiling at the Doctor.

"Yes, thank you, Suki." Cathica said irritated "Okay, keep it calm...don't show off for the guests...here we go." she lied down in the chair "And...engage safety..."

The staff held their hands out over their hand pads. Each of the eight walls lit up as they did so. The Doctor, Rose, Tiaalen, and Adam looked around. Cathica clicked her fingers, and a door in her forehead opened, revealing her brain. The Doctor looked mildly disgusted, Rose alarmed, Tia looked bemused, and Adam leaned forward slightly trying to get a better look. The staff placed their hands down on the pads and closed their eyes.

"And 3...2...and spike,"

From the contraption over the chair, a blue light spiked down into her brain, flowing into her.

"Compressed information," The Doctor explained "streaming into her. Reports from every city, every country, every planet, and they all get packaged inside her head. She becomes part of the software. Her brain is the computer,"

"If it all goes through her, she must be a genius," Rose claimed

"Nah. She wouldn't remember any. There's too much, her head would blow up,"

Tiaalen began to walk around the room, circling the octagonal platform. The Doctor followed.

"The brain's the processor. As soon as it closes, she gorgets," The Doctor continued

"So, what about all these people round the edge?" Tia asked

"They've all got tiny little chips in their head, connecting them to her..."

Tiaalen kneeled down next to one of them for a closer look.

"...and they transmit 600 channels. Every single fact in the empire beams out of this place. Now, that's what I call power," The Doctor realized what he had said when Tiaalen flinched.

"You alright?" Rose asked Adam

"I can see her brain," Adam said

"Do you want to get out?"

"No...no. This is technology, it's...it's amazing,"

"This technology's wrong," Tiaalen growled causing Rose and Adam to look at her.

"Trouble?" Rose asked

The Doctor looked at Tia worriedly. There was a slight shuddering sound, and Suki twitched.