Dalek Pt. 4

The Doctor heard the sound of the death ray and tore the earpiece off. There was a stunned silence in Van Statten's office. "I killed her,"

"Doctor, I'm so sorry," Rose told him

"I told the Jedi order I'd protect her. She was only here because of me." He turned to Van Statten "I could've killed that Dalek in its cell. But you stopped me,"

"It was the prize of my collection!"

Rose became furious at his words "Your collection? But was it worth it? Worth all those men's deaths? Worth Tia?" There was silence in the room before the Doctor continued

"Let me tell you something, Van Statten. Mankind goes into space to explore. To be part of something greater,"

"Exactly!" Van Statten exclaimed as he stood in enthusiasm "I wanted to touch the stars!"

"You just want to drag the stars down and stick them underground underneath tons of sand and dirt. And label them. You're about as far from the stars as you can get," The Doctor told him contemptuously, full of hate. His face, contorted with fury suddenly softened into a sad, grief-stricken expression "And you took her down with you." he stared into space "She was seventeen years old,"

***

Tiaalen had her eyes closed, ready for the Dalek to kill her. The Dalek approached but did nothing. It just stared at her as Tia opened her eyes cautiously and looked around. "Go on then, kill me." The Dalek was silent. "Why are you doing this?" Tiaalen asked angrily.

"I am armed. I will kill. It is my purpose," The Dalek said

"They're all dead because of you!"

"They are dead because of us,"

Tia was shaken into a short silence. "And now what?" she asked, "What're you waiting for?"

"I feel your fear,"

Tiaalen clenched her fists "What do you expect?!"

"Daleks do not fear. Must not fear," it shot its death ray wildly at the wall either side of Tia.

***

The Doctor rounded on Adam as he stepped out of the lift into Van Statten's office. "You were quick on your feet, leaving Tiaalen behind,"

"I'm not the one who sealed the vault!" Adam said indignantly.

Rose stepped between the two "It's not Adam's fault, Doctor. She pushed me through the bulkhead because I wasn't going to make it. It's my fault,"

The screen sprung into life. It showed Tia standing by the Dalek's side. "Open the bulkhead or the Jedi dies,"

The Doctor took a few steps towards the screen, an expression of joy and relief breaking onto his face. "You're alive!" he exclaimed

"Can't get rid of me," Tiaalen told him

"I thought you were dead,"

"Open the bulkhead!" The Dalek ordered

"Don't do it!" Tia shouted

"What use are emotions if you will not save the woman you love?"

The Doctor was stunned. He turned to Rose, who was looking at him, shocked. "I killed her once." he went to the computer "I can't-do it again," he hit the return key.

***

The bulkhead opened and the Dalek and Tiaalen slowly went through it.