The Long Game Pt. 4

The lift reached Floor 500. The doors opened and the Doctor, Rose, and Tiaalen stepped out.

The Doctor looked around "The walls are not made of gold. You should go back downstairs,"

"Tough," Tia told him as she and Rose strode onto Floor 500. The Doctor watching them for a moment then followed.

The trio found themselves in the Editor's room, where he was watching the screens.

"I started without you." The Editor told them "This is fascinating. Satellite Five contains every piece of information within the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire. Birth certificates, shopping habits, bank statements, but you three...you don't exist!"

The Doctor, Rose, and Tiaalen looked right back at him. He laughed.

"Not a trace! No birth, no job, not the slightest kiss. How can you walk through the world and not leave a single footprint?"

Rose spotted Suki sitting at one of the screens and rushed over to her immediately. "Suki! Suki!" she knelt next to her, but Suki did not respond. "Hello? Can you hear me? Suki?" Rose glared at the Editor "What've you done to her?"

"Rose, she's dead," Tia told the blonde.

"She's working..."

"They've all got chips in their head, and the chips keep going. Like puppets," The Doctor explained

"Ohhh! You're full of information! But it's only fair we get information back because apparently, you're no-one." The Editor laughed. The Doctor nodded "It's so rare not to know something. Who are you?"

"It doesn't matter, 'cause we're off. Nice to meet you." he took Tia's hand "Come on,"

Two of the Drones restrained him. Rose tried to get up, but Suki's corpse grabbed her arm. Tiaalen went to use the force to get the drones off of them but the Doctor shook his head.

"Tell me who you are!"

"Since that information's keeping us alive, I'm hardly gonna say, am I?"

The Editor smiled "Well, perhaps my Editor in Chief can convince you otherwise,"

"And who's that?"

"It may interest you to know that this is not the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire. In fact, it's not actually human at all. It's merely a place where humans happen to live."

A creature spoke. The tone sounded angry.

"Yeah, sorry. It's a place where humans are allowed to live by kind permission of my client," The Editor snapped his fingers and pointed upwards and pointed at the creature in the ceiling. It was revealed to be a huge, slobbering lump of an alien with a mouth full of sharp, snapping teeth,

"What is that?" Rose asked nervously.

"You mean, that thing's in charge of Satellite Five?" Tia questioned

"That 'thing', as you put it, is in charge of the human race." The Editor said

The Doctor looked at him in alarm.

"For almost a hundred years, mankind has been shaped and guided, his knowledge and ambition strictly controlled by its broadcast news. Edited by my superior, your master, and humanities guiding light, the mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe,"

The Jagrafess roared.

"I call him Max,"

The Doctor smiled sarcastically and nodded. The drones placing them in manacles.