Chapter 12: Confessions

Chapter 12 Confessions

A circled pattern began to form on the floor, glowing bright red. At that moment, Aaron burst in. I looked at him with what may have been bewilderment in my eyes. Aaron looked at the floor, the magical circle surrounding us.

“You’re too late to save your precious liege.” Delano smirked while taking out a silver band. He grabbed my hand and forcefully shoved the ring onto my fourth finger. The ring too began to glow, and at once it began to shrink to the size of my finger. The stabbing pain that was caused by the ring forced me to scream out loud. My scream brought Aaron back to reality and he raced towards me. His sword rose to attack.  

“You don’t want to do that, you might kill her.” I glared at Delano maliciously. Then the pain suddenly engulfed me and I blacked out.

***

I opened my eyes and blinked at the ceiling. Everything was groggy. I directed my hand to hit the snooze button when a glint from my fourth finger caught my eyes. Then everything came back to me. The wedding, Aaron coming in too late, and the wedding. I was overwhelmed with emotions. And then, I remembered my parents. I threw back the covers and stumbled down the stairs. I was so happy when I caught a whiff of my mom’s special blueberry flapjacks. I ran into the kitchen, and my mom didn’t even look at me. Everything was back to normal. I smiled as I ran to hug her. I must have caught her by surprise because she froze and then looked down at me with a blank expression.

“Ahem.” She cleared her throat and I let go. She looked at me again. This time I caught a glimmer of a smile playing at her lips. She loaded a plate with flapjacks for me. I walked into the dining room, and saw my dad reading the newspaper. He looked perfect. No scratches or bruises were on his skin. I smiled as I sat down to begin eating. Everything was alright with my parents again.

***

Thea looked at me with a worried expression. I felt like I was getting that look from her a lot recently. I signaled with my eyes at the wedding band that was marring my finger.

“Is that what I think it is?” I closed my eyes and told her the whole story. I watched her face turn from surprised to shock all in one second. The rest of the trip was silent, with Thea trying to absorb all the new information that I had just shoved into her mind.

I wasn’t really ready for school today, with what was happening around me, but I still forced myself to get out of Thea’s car once it was parked. I walked rapidly away from the car towards the door, hoping to not bump into Aaron. I wouldn’t be able to talk to him without tearing up. As soon as I entered through the entrance I noticed Aaron making a beeline towards me from down the hall. I changed direction and ran into the washroom. I took a deep breath as I safely made it.

“I know you’re in there Jasmine.” I was silent as Aaron’s voice washed over me. His voice soothing me like a balm. I wanted to so much to run out there and throw myself into his arms. For him to tell me that everything was going to be okay. Tears began to track its way down my cheeks. I leaned on the door and slid down onto the floor. The tile floors were cold. I waited on the floor until I heard Aaron’s feet shuffle away. The warning bell rang and I slowly made my way to the classroom. 

“Well look here. Aww, have you been crying? Did Delano finally break up with you?” Abigail sneered If only that was what had happened then I wouldn’t be in this mess. Her mockery wasn’t getting to me today. What she was saying was something I wish was true. Abigail stopped after a while, realizing that she wasn’t getting through to me. She turned and finally walked to her classroom. I walked into the classroom just as the bell rang. Sitting down I thought, yes, my goal is complete. Finally you’re here. Crap, I forgot that Aaron could read my mind. Just then my cell phone vibrated in my pocket. I checked and it was a text from Thea.