Chapter 4: Fill in The Blank

Chapter 4 Fill in The Blank:

I woke up with a start. Everything about the world was fuzzy. I lay there, on my bed trying to recall what had happened since I was conscious, but I kept drawing a blank. I only remembered that I went on a date with Delano, getting on the ferris wheel and then everything went blank. Whenever I tried to investigate further into my memories an aching headache overcame me, forcing me to give up for the time being. After a few more tries, I gave up and decided to call Thea.

“So how was the date?” Thea asked nonchalantly.

“That’s the thing, I can’t remember. I feel like something bad happened and my mind is keeping me away from the dreadful memories. What if something bad happened to Delano?”

“I don’t know. It seems kind of weird, don’t you think?”

“Yeah…Well, I’ll figure something out. Thanks for listening, goodnight Thea.”

“Anytime. Night!”

I listened until the line went dead. I sighed and put down my phone. Staring back up at the ceiling. What had happened?

I tried to get some sleep, but to no avail. My mind was in overdrive, trying to piece together what exactly had happened.

The next day, I showed up to school with bags under my eyes, and I was walking around like a zombie. Whenever someone came up to me to ask what was wrong, I quickly plastered on a fake smile and said nothing was the matter and that they were over thinking things. I had just been up doing some assignments.

I was walking to my locker before my AP psych course, when the cheerleader squad once again decide to surround me. This time they were smarter and left no holes to escape in their prison.

“So where's Delano? Did you do something stupid?” Sneered Abigail.

“Yeah, yeah…” Echoed the others

I was seriously starting to get sick of this routine, I mean, I was just one girl who went out with Delano, and it wasn’t like it got serious or anything. But then again, that memory lapse had me vulnerable.

“I don’t know what happened to Delano, I’m trying to figure it out myself.”

“Excuses, all excuses. You probably gave him a headache; you know you really do look ugly.”

I glared at them. I was about to say something snarky when a surprisingly familiar, yet welcoming voice interjected.

“Enough of this, Jasmine has nothing to do with you being so fake and unappealing.”

A hand grabbed me by the arm and yanked me from the army of girls. I turned around, and was greeted by warm brown eyes. A pair of eyes belonging to the person I would never have suspected to defend me. I couldn’t keep the shock from showing on my face. I must have looked like an idiot. My mouth felt like it had penetrated through five floors.

“Only I get to make fun of Jasmine, see you later girls.” Aaron flashed the cheerleader his trade-mark smirk.

At that moment, a memory of last night came whizzing in. My knees buckled and I would have fallen if Aaron hadn’t been there to catch my fall.

“Whoa there, I know I’m hot, but you don’t have to fall for me.”

I couldn’t reply to his comment. I was so startled. Aaron had showed up last night. He must have ruined my date. I jerked my arm from his tight grasp and glowered at him.

“You…. You…” I was so angry I couldn’t speak properly.

“What? What the hell did I do?” He seemed angry. How could he be angry when I was obviously the victim?

“You ruined my date with Delano, everything was going fine up until the point you showed up.”

“So forcing a kiss on you is fine?”

“Are you high? I didn’t even kiss him yet.”

Aaron’s eyes hardened. Without another word, he silently turned around and headed for the other side of campus. Good. I probably wouldn’t be seeing a lot of him today.

I made my way towards psych, still fuming. I made it to class without anymore mishap. What the heck was happening to the people around me? I could tolerate some of Aaron’s stupidity, but this was just ridiculous.

Psych dragged on, full of terms we had to memorize and things we were going to be tested on next week. I mindlessly scribbled down the notes, but I was elsewhere completely. I hiked it out of there as soon as the bell went.

“So I heard something happened between you and Aaron.”

“Yeah, he was being a major A-hole. God, apparently he ruined my date with Delano.”

Thea’s eyes turned a dark shade of brown, this happened whenever she was mad about something.

“Please get both sides of the story before judging.”

With that she got up and walked out of the cafe. I was surprised. Never in my ten years of knowing Thea did she ever walk from me. I was hurt. I went to the office to excuse myself, telling them I wasn’t feeling well, which was partly true.

I got in my car. It was too early to go home without raising suspicion with my parents, so I decided to drive to the beach. It was a nice day, the sky was blue with no hint of clouds, if only my mood could be like that.

I parked my car and quickly got out. I ran towards the sand while trying to take off my shoes. I just had to dip my toes in the water. Before I got too far, I spotted a lifeless person on the sand. I quickly ran up to them. While I was checking for a pulse, someone came up behind me and tapped my shoulders. I jumped a mile high. My fingers were grasped into tight fists.

“What happened?” Delano said in his calm voice.

“She's… dead…” I looked away, my vision was blurred by my unshed tears. “Why are you here anyway?” I was getting suspicious. It couldn't have been conicidental that he would have landed in the same place that a dead person was. I just couldn't I narrowed my eyes, waiting for his response. Of course he didn’t answer, just put his arms around my waist and pulled me in. I snuggled closer to him, feeling the comfort of his strong arms. I let out all my tears that I had been holding in. He was silent, for which I was grateful for. We stood there for what seemed like a few hours, but was probably only five minutes. My question was slowly edging away from my mind.

“You okay?” Delano gave me smile reassuring smile.

“Yeah. Thanks for being my human towel” I quickly wiped my eyes.

“Anytime.” He smiled.

“But why are you here? Everyone’s been looking for you.”

His eyes seemed to darken and his smile didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“Nothing really, I was just coming out here for a nice walk to calm my nerves.”

I gave him a suspicious look.

Believe what I’m telling you.

My brain was telling me to believe, but it didn’t feel right. I quickly shrugged it off and smiled.

“Rough day too?”

“You can’t even imagine.” Delano answered.

He let the sentence hang.

“Come on, walk with me.” He grabbed my hand and intertwined it together.

I leaned into him as we made our way down the beach. The water was beautiful today, light blue and the sun made it sparkle in the afternoon sun. It was quite peaceful, the only sounds were the lapping of the waves…

“Get away from her you bastard!”

Thank you AlyssaDaken for the banner at the side --> (: