Chapter 9: Accident

Chapter 9: Accident

Aaron turned to me, unable to meet my eyes.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I regarded him carefully, trying to read his expression. He didn’t show any sign of surprise. His expression was completely blank. The atmosphere in the car was really starting to charge up. Aaron raised his face, and finally looked into my eyes, his eyes showing vulnerability. I was lost in them, those deep pools of chocolate. I shook my head, needing myself to be in my right mind.

“Tell me what’s going on.” I captured his eyes and batted my eyelash. I put my hand on his arm. Trying to mesmerize him the way he did to me. It seemed to work, his eyes began to take on a confused look, flickering from where my hand was placed on his arm to my face and back again.

“I can’t tell you.” He whispered hoarsely, closing his eyes.

“You can trust me can’t you?”

“It’s not that, if I told you… Forget it, you just can’t know. Let’s pretend we never had this conversation.”

“Why am I getting flashbacks? And I feel like there’s a lapse in my memory. I know you know something. Why are you doing this? Do you hate me this much?” I rambled on.

Aaron’s face finally changed. Becoming surprised. Was it because of what I had just said? He seemed to be leaning closer and unconsciously I could feel myself being drawn to him. Just when our lips were inches from each other, he stopped.

“Don’t do this to me.” Aaron murmured. His breath blowing onto my lips, sending a shiver down my spine. “I can’t tell you. Please stop asking, I can’t resist you anymore.”

I leaned back a bit, taken aback by this statement. What? He couldn’t resist me. Suddenly, I wasn’t in the car anymore, I was in the hallway. Aaron’s lips were pressed against mine, gently prying my mouth open with his. Everything else was a blur, but something about this scene was too familiar to be one of my daydreams.

I gasped as I was slammed back into my brain. My hyperventilating breaths broke the silence. “I need to go.” I quickly muttered before opening the car door and stepping out onto the frosty grass. The cold pierced through me, clearing my mind. I jogged to the door and quickly opened it, desperate to escape the cold. I turned back one more time, to see what Aaron was doing. Although it was dark out, I could still see his silhouette, he seemed to be looking at me. I turned around on my heels and ran into the house. My heart was pounding hard. I was surprised that I hadn’t noticed earlier. I was quite defiant to believe that it was actually Aaron who had elicited this feeling. It was probably only from the jogging I had done to get to the house, boy was I unfit. I slowly climbed the stairs. My mind was in another world. I changed into my t-shirt and sweat pants, running back downstairs to make dinner. It was my turn, and if I didn’t have something piping hot on the dinning room table before my parents were home they would yell at me, and I just couldn’t take that at this moment.

I put the spaghetti into the boiling water. Watching as the water slowly overtook the noodles and pulled it under. After staring for another few moments, I took out the meatballs from the fridge and poured the tomato sauce into a bowl. I seared the meatballs; the heavenly scent reminded me of how hungry I was. I took a bite of one of the meatballs after I deemed it cooked. It was the best thing I’ve ever eaten. I wolfed down three more, before mixing the tomato sauce in. I stirred the pot as the sauce began to simmer. I felt hot; the heat from the stove was becoming overpowering. I must have still been weak from my breakdown this morning. I poured the sauce from the pan onto the noodles I had plated earlier. The red sauce ran down the side like blood. Not bothering to wait for my parents, I sat down and speared a meatball and hungrily shoved it into my mouth. I twirled the noodles around my fork and set upon eating it. After I finished my dinner, I loaded the dishwasher and walked upstairs to start my homework, when I suddenly remembered I hadn’t gotten my chemistry homework from Delano. I took out my phone from my back pocket and speed dialed Delano.