Chapter 10: Winter Wonderland

I glanced up at Aaron with my watery eyes. His eyes full of concern, held my gaze. I looked away and buried myself in his chest. Needing the comfort that I was lacking. His arms tightened around me protectively, seemingly to protect me from an invisible danger.

“It’ll be alright.” He murmured again against my hair.

“Miss Blakewood?” I turned around to face the voice. “You may go in to see your father now.” The nurse’s face didn’t give away anything about the condition that my father was in. I slowly nodded, not trusting my voice. I grasped Aaron’s hand, needing not only the physical support, but the emotional ones too. Aaron took my hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

I made my way down the dimly lit hallway. The lights flickered on and off. There was a light that wasn’t working and it had plunged the end of the hallway into a complete and utter darkness. We slowly made our way to the room that my father was assigned to. The light was on and there was voices coming from the inside.

“He’s in pretty bad shape, four broken ribs and his leg bones are completely shattered. It’ll take a miracle for him to survive.” I froze at the new information that the voices were telling me. The door seemed to grow further away and the temperature dropped by twenty degrees. I began to shiver. Quickly I felt arms wrapping me closer, sharing the pain that I was feeling.

“It’s okay, I can fix this. Trust me.” I nodded again, trying to hold back the tears that wanted to take over. Aaron knocked on the door and it was quickly opened by a doctor in a lab coat. He looked me over with his glasses, and then his eyes flickered to my tear streaked face.

“Ah, you must be Miss Blakewood. Please come in.” We walked in, guided by the doctor. He began to talk, but nothing was computing. I just nodded and shook my head at the right times and then finally after what seemed to be like forever, the doctor and the nurse left.

Aaron helped me sit down on the chair next to the bed. The smell of the room finally penetrated my nose. The chlorine smell polluted the air reminding me of the swimming pool, taking me back to a memory of when I was six and I went swimming with my father for the first time in the pool. I took up the courage and looked at the bed in front of me. My mouth widened at the state of the man in front of me. He was wrapped from head to toe in bandages, like a mummy. My hands began to shake as I brought them closer to my father’s face.

“Please help him. Please I beg of you, I’ll do anything.” I begged Aaron as I sobbed uncontrollably.

“Shh, I would do anything for you, of course I’ll help.” He helped me sit down on the other bed. And then the most amazing thing happened, pure white wings sprouted from his back. Then Aaron closed his eyes and began to chant: Tui Gratia Iovis Gratia Sit Cura. Let the Grace of Jupiter Be the Cure for Your Sake. I was glad that I had taken Latin back in middle school. I must have still been in shock from seeing my father like this that what Aaron was doing seemed to be okay. Soon there was a bright glow, and everything went dark.

***

I leaned into a warm and comforting stuffy. I opened my eyes and blinked, allowing my eyes adjusting to the bright sunlight. I looked around and found myself in the hospital. The events of last night slowly began to come back to me. Then I remembered what had woken me up, this mysterious stuffy. I turned around and was greeted by a pair of brown eyes. I nearly fell out of the bed, but a pair of arms prevented me from doing so. My eyes raked over Aaron’s half naked body and immediately began to blush. He was quite fit, his body was nicely muscled.

“How’s my father?” Quickly trying to interrupt myself from having any naughty fantasies.

“He’ll be just alright, sweetie. But now can you please stop staring, you’re making me feel hot.” He smirked.