Chapter 8: Unexpected Realizations

Chapter 8 Unexpected Realizations:

My arms still hung in mid-air, temporarily stunned by the sudden silence. I could feel all my classmates’ eyes drilling into me.

“Ahem.” The clearing of a throat brought me back to reality. I looked up towards my teacher,Mr. Weichel. “Ms. Blakewood, are you quite alright?”

“Y-es.” I stuttered, quickly scrambling for my case so I could fetch new strings. I inserted the string into the tuning pegs and began to slowly turn, quickly retuning. The ever familiar concert A was being played by Aaron to aid me. I finally considered my pitch to be perfect and sat back to wait for further instructions. Mr. Weichel regarded me with one more worried glance, and raised his baton and we began the piece once again. The rest of the class passed by uneventfully, I made sure to focus on the music at hand instead of letting my mind wander.

Outside in the courtyard, I wandered along the pathway. The maple leaves were changing a brilliant colour of red and orange. They resembled the blazing sun. I slowed down as I inspected the neatly cut grass. It was beckoning for me to lie down on it. Aaron’s voice called out after me, cutting through my train of thoughts. I stopped and turned around. “What do you want?” I asked curiously.

“I just wanted to check to see if you were okay. You were kind of distant today in orchestra, I know you, and you’ve never been so careless as to break your string.”

I stared at him. How did my enemy know me so well? I narrowed my eyes a bit. Fully studying him. “I feel like something was going on. I-I feel like I’m missing something.” I blurted out without thinking. I studied his face, judging for a reaction. Wondering if he knew anything about my déjà vu. However, his face showed no sign of being surprised, it had seemed like I had just asked him a simple math problem.

“Really? I’m sure you’re just imagining things. Maybe you haven’t gotten enough sleep?” His voice hardened as he finished his sentence.

I looked at him one more time. “Yeah maybe.” I muttered. I think he knows something and he just won’t tell me, I have to try harder, I thought.

“Hey there sweetie.” The alluring voice that belonged to Delano interrupted me before I could start my interrogation. I just didn’t know why every time I heard Delano’s velvety smooth voice, my legs would turn to butter, and I would have to try my hardest to not melt in a puddle in front of him.

I turned my back to Aaron, making a quiet note to corner him later today to ask him about what he knew and wasn’t telling me. I smiled at Delano and went and took his hand like nothing was wrong. I turned around about to wave good-bye to Aaron, when I notice he was no where to be seen. That’s weird. He’s so quick, I didn’t even notice him leave.

I felt Delano pull me back from my questions. His hands circled my waist and he walked me towards the main building. I was suddenly very tired. I leaned my head against Delano’s shoulders. My eyelids slowly shut. If it wasn’t for Delano, I would have fallen flat on my face.

...

My eyes fluttered open and met Delano’s clear blue eyes. His eyes were lined with worry. “Are you okay? You just passed out.”

I shook my head, trying to wake myself. My brain was foggy, just like it had been this morning. It felt like a memory was trying to resurface, but something was preventing it from happening. I had to talk to Aaron.

“What time is it?”

“Its five minutes until lunchtime, don’t worry about your period 2, I’ve talked to the teacher.”

I quickly got up, earning me a surprised look from Delano.

“You gotta lie down!”

“I’m fine, I need to find someone, and could you please get my homework from Ms. Slade?”