Chapter 7: Déjà Vu

Chapter 7 Déjà Vu :

I woke up with a start, seemingly to be coming out of a nightmare. Now that the dream had passed, I couldn’t remember what it was. Strange I thought, I could usually remember all my dreams. I got up, about to get ready for school, when I noticed that it was dark outside. I glanced at my clock. 7:00pm. I must have taken a nap when I got home. I walked to my bathroom to splash water on my face, hoping to clear this confusion away.

Before I could step into the bathroom however, my mother’s voice travelled up the turpentine stairs, “Dinner!” she called harshly, like she did every night.

I walked down the stairs, still half a sleep. My mind was feeling sluggish. I stepped into the kitchen, and quickly sat down at my usual place. I looked down at my plate, mash potatoes and chicken. Odd, we usually didn’t have the same meal twice in two nights.

So, I heard you've gotten 19/20 on your recent chemistry mark." My mother glared at me, a disapproving look clear on her face, as she sat down across from me at the table.

Ok, this was complete déjà vu now. I was getting a bit freaked out. But maybe I was just imagining things, my mother usually did this when I got less than perfect on my tests, which wasn’t often, nonetheless, I was still often lectured. Maybe I’ve had too many “talks” that they’re all beginning to feel the same.

“It was just one test, I’m sorry, I’ll make it up.”

“You better young lady, or we’re sending you to boot camp.”

This conversation was turning to be far from pleasant. I shovelled in my food at inhumane speed, desperate to escape this interrogation. I got up to put the dish into the dishwasher just as my father came in. Of course, we ignored each other like strangers, which really wasn’t surprising.

I was getting tired again, even after my nap. I could feel my eyes beginning to droop as I scuttled up the stairs. It was 7:30pm. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. My eyes closed at one point as I was brushing, I quickly rinsed out the toothpaste so I wouldn’t choke on myself, and giving into the sleep, I crawled into my bed. The comfy pillow was so inviting as my head fell onto it.

~~~~~~~

I woke up the next day to a bird chirping outside my window. It was a perfect beginning to a new day. I had had a dreamless night, which was good, because I was actually able to rest. I got up, feeling more energized than I had for weeks. I skipped to my closet and pulled on my chequered button up shirt and skinny jeans. I then made my way into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. My eyes widened, I was a true mess, my hair was like a crow’s nest and my skin was pasty. I quickly worked out the knots in my hair and washed my face thoroughly. I slapped myself a bit to bring some colour into my cheeks. As soon as I deemed myself decent, I walked down the stairs, grabbed a banana and went outside to wait for Thea.

Just as I finished my banana, Thea pulled in. I got in the car and looked at Thea. She had a worried look in her eyes.

“You ok? Anything happened with Aaron?”

I stared at her like she was mad. “Aaron? I haven’t seen him once since the start of the year, although I do have all my classes with him.”

Thea raised one eyebrow. “Oh is that so? I’m glad you don’t have to kill him yet.” I laughed at that.

The rest of the trip passed by silently. It wasn’t an uncomfortable silence, it never was with Thea. It was a silence that helped you think about what was going to happen. The car glided soundlessly into the parking lot. I got out once Thea parked.

“You coming?” I asked her.

“Nah, I got to make a call, I’ll catch up with you later.”

“Alright, see you.”

I walked towards the tall archway in front of the school. My hands were full, my violin case in one hand, and my textbook in the other. I was trying to balance it all when someone took my books from me. I looked up, Delano smiled down at me, making me melt.

“Hi there. You need some help?” He leaned in and gave me a kiss.

I blushed red at the PDA. I didn’t know what to say, so I just nodded. Delano took my hands together as we made our way to my locker. Everyone seemed to have stopped and stared, but I didn’t mind, I had gotten my guy in a matter of days. As we came near to my locker, I saw Aaron and for a second my heart started beating twice as fast. I stopped there in the middle of the hallway, startled at this new profound feeling. Aaron turned back then, he made eye contact with me and gave me a gentle smile, then his eyes seemed to cloud over as he took me and Delano’s intertwined arms. I blushed deeply, and turn back to Delano, who was also glaring at Aaron. I quickly made my way to my locker, dragging Delano with me. I shoved my books in and headed towards orchestra. The one class that I didn’t have with Delano. We parted ways at the fork where it divided the path to the south wing and the north wing. I quickly gave him a peck on the cheek, then turned and walked up the path to the north.

I made it to the band room at the same time Aaron popped up. He glanced at me with the same worried look that Thea had shot me this morning. I was startled at the sudden change of emotions. Usually he would just be smirking at me in his annoying way.

“Do I have something on my face?” I asked, my voice becoming soft.

Aaron brushed his hands against my face. It was so gentle, like a feather. If you didn’t pay attention you would’ve missed it. My heart began pounding, meeting a new beat. I was sure that everyone could hear it. I froze then. I shouldn’t be feeling this way about my oldest enemy. I should be hating him, not enjoying his touch. I stepped back a bit and backed right up to the door.  

“He did a really good job.” Aaron muttered under his breath. With that, he pulled the door handle, and walked in.

I was momentarily startled at the sudden change of emotion. I yanked the door back a moment later and walked in. The sad music of Pavane reached my ears. I knew who was playing it. Aaron was the best player in our orchestra. My eyes began to tear up, this song was truly melancholic. The bell rang, signalling us to get ready. I sat down in my usual seat, behind the concert master. As we began to tune up, I looked at Aaron who was moving his bow up and down his violin gracefully. He was truly beautiful when he played the violin. When he turned to us, the signal for us to begin tuning, he stared at me. Never letting go of my eyes as I turned the tuning pegs. Finally when we were all deemed perfectly tuned, we began our piece. The Winter Movement of Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons . I played mindlessly. My mind had wandered off into the realm of LaLa Land. I didn’t notice as I began to play faster, caught in my own tempo. Playing faster and faster until…

My violin string snapped.

Hey guys (: This is my attempt to slow the plot back down as I got many comments saying that my plot was too fast, which I totally agreed, but it was too late to change it, so I'm trying to change it with the next few chapters. Thanks for all your support. (: