Chapter 2: Magic and Wizards

Chapter Two: Magic and Wizards

As I blearily open my eyes, I check the clock and see that it says 8:30, so I yawn and decide to get up. I look at the calendar and my eyes widen in excitement and surprise. It’s finally July 9th! I jump out of bed and race down the stairs and into the living room. Jake stands in the middle of the room playing Wii, as usual. I sit down in an armchair, bouncing up and down in excitement.

“Guess what today's date is?!” I ask him in a sing-songy voice.

“July 9th,” says Jake in a bored voice. “But, what does...Oh! Someone is coming to tell you about Hogwarts today!”

“Yes!” I exclaim excitedly continuing to bounce up and down.

“Stop bouncing!” he says, “You keep making me fall off the course!

I sigh and stop bouncing. Finally, I get bored by watching him win all of his races and decide to go upstairs to wake my parents.

I run up the stairs and bounce on my parents' bed chanting, “July 9th! July 9th!”

Mum groans and hides her head under pillow, but Dad gets up and starts dancing around the bedroom, chanting with me. He laughs and heads downstairs to make breakfast for us, as he traditionally does when Mum is tired. I go to my bedroom and reread the Hogwarts letter for almost the 20th time. Then I hear Dad yell that breakfast is done, so I go downstairs and eat.

Later, as I am getting dressed, an owl swoops in through the window. It has a letter tied to its leg, so when it offers me its leg, I untie it and the owl quickly flies out the window. I watch it until it fly off, until it disappears in the horizon. I wonder where Hogwarts is and what classes they teach there.

I eagerly read the letter,

“Dear Ms. Smith,

Today at 1 p.m. a Mrs. Hermione Granger Weasley will come to your house. We are very excited to introduce you to the Wizarding World and cannot wait until you arrive at Hogwarts.

Yours Sincerely,

Professor Minerva McGonagall

Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

I look at the clock and see that it already says that its 12:04. I should probably go and eat lunch, so I go downstairs and make myself a sandwich. Looking into the living room I see that again, Jake is playing Wii, so I being the wonderfully nice sister that I am, ask him what he wants for lunch.

“Just make me something,” he says, continuing to stare at the screen and doesn't even glance at me.

I smile evilly and go into the kitchen. He said to make him anything, so I do exactly that. I take out a leftover pancake and spread peanut butter on it, and then line up strawberries down the middle. Finally, I wrap the pancake up and place it on a plate. I take a glass out of the cupboard and fill it with chocolate milk. I place a large scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream, which I know that he hates, on top of the pancake.

I laugh and call him to the table. We eat in silence, occasionally I see him grimace because of the excessive amount of peanut butter I used, but I know that Jay will eat, because he asked for “something,” and something I gave him! After rinsing off the plates, I look at the clock. 12:46, I run upstairs to tell Mum and Dad that she’ll be here soon.

“Mum! Dad!” I yell as I run up the stairs towards the attic office.

“Yes, darling.” they answer in unison.