Chapter Eleven {Revised}

Juliana

"He is so beautiful, Lilac," I tell her, gesturing to the tiny bundle that lies nestled in her arms.

She smiles at me. "Isn't he?" she gushes. "As a teenager, I suffered from—" she pauses, an unreadable expression crossing her soft features. "It doesn't matter. I just didn't think my heart was capable of loving someone this strong."

My heart warms at the joy Lilac has so obviously found in motherhood.

"Do you want to hold him?" she asks me.

I grow nervous at the question. The child in her arms looks so delicate. Though I've handled expensive porcelain, priceless jewels, and stones older than the earth itself, I've never had the pleasure of holding something quite as precious as a child.

"I don't want to break him," I tell her, earning me a giggle.

She shifts in the bed, preparing to hand him to me.

"Nonsense, I won't take no for an answer."

She reaches over and places him in my waiting hands.

Hayden's eyes remain closed, never once having opened since he was born less than twenty-four hours ago.

"He's so small," I muse. "He looks like Samuel," I say, giggling.

"What a betrayal, right?" Lilac jokes.

My face sobers. "Speaking of, how are you holding up now that Samuel has departed for Norland?" I ask the question that has been lingering in the air since I arrived in the hospital wing to visit her.

"Honestly, I'm okay. More okay than I've ever been. He was able to be here for me during childbirth, something the both of us had begun to accept would be just out of reach. That's more than I ever thought I would get," she answers as she observes her son in my arms, the love in her eyes unmistakable.

"You were beautiful before, but motherhood looks radiant on you, Lilac."

Her eyes shine. "You think?"

Before I can affirm my statement, the swing of a door sounds across the room. A palace nurse enters.

"Lady Carter," the nurse addresses Lilac, dipping her head. "Your Highness," she greets me, lowering into a curtsy.

I usher her to proceed.

"Your Highness, Prince Aspen is requesting you."

"I will be just a second," I tell her. She curtsies once again before dismissing herself.

I gently hand Hayden back over to Lilac.

"I'll be back to check on you soon," I tell her as she settles her baby back into the comfort of her arms.

I run a finger across the little child's cheek. He stirs just a fraction.

"Welcome to the world, Hayden Kenneth Carter," I whisper. I turn to Lilac. "By the way, why Kenneth?"

Lilac grins. "Samuel's father's name. I was never able to meet him before he died, but Samuel tells me all about him. He describes him as being so loyal, brave, and passionate in the love for his family. That's exactly what I aspire for my son."

I smile. "That's beautiful, Lilac. If I'm not prying, how did he die?"

"He fought in that big war that ended...what was it? Five years ago? With the Isolians?"