Chapter 40: The Breaking Point

Lilac's POV

Four years ago

I crossed my arms over my chest and took another look at the clock. 2:15, it read. Samuel had promised that he would be home early tonight so that we could have dinner. I looked down at the lacy lingerie I had let Willow talk me into buying. The candles had already gone out on the dinner table and the meal that I cooked had long turned cold. The longer I waited, the more irritated I became. Was this what life with Samuel was going to be like if we ever got married? Him gone all of the time, usually with empty promises of a quick return? And me, waiting patiently for him through long hours in the night? I didn't think I could handle that.

Samuel has always thought that his duty to his country should come first, but for some reason, I thought that somewhere along the way, I had begun to come first. I guess I made myself believe in a fantasy.

Suddenly, headlights flashed through the large bay window across the room indicating that Samuel was home. I wondered what excuse he brought with him this time.

I heard the car door slam and twisted my face into one of anger. It wasn't very difficult to do this considering I was already fuming when the clock had turned 8:01, one minute pass his expected arrival time.

He walked through the front door still in his palace attire with the King's insignia embroidered on his breast pocket. He carried with him a bouquet of lilacs. It would take more than my favorite flowers to get him out of this one.

"Lilac-" he started, but quickly stopped when he turned around and saw me. "Wow, you look..."

I looked away from him contemptuously and continued to mess with the lace on my underwear.

"I would have looked sexy six hours ago while waiting on the couch, ready to surprise you. Now, I just look ridiculous. How many times are you going to keep humiliating me like this, Samuel?"

I stood up from my position on the couch as he moved closer. I wouldn't allow him to stand so much taller than me while I was scolding him. It made me feel like a child.

He set the lilacs down on the coffee table and attempted to pull me towards him, but I shrugged away from his touch.

"Lilac, I'm sorry. I really would have been here sooner, but I-"

"But you what?" I interrupted. "You got held up again with matters that are far more important than me. After all, I am just your girlfriend. No one worth too much concern, is that it?"

He looked stricken. Good.

"Is that really how you think I feel about you?" He shook his head in disbelief. "After all we've been through and you still don't understand how much I love you."

"So now it's my fault? I can't help the way I feel, Samuel. This is the third night you've done this to me. And that's just this week! I-I can't keep doing this, Samuel. Waiting for you endlessly while you disappoint me time and time again."

"Lilac, I'm sorry, I really am. But what do you want me to do? Quit my job?"

I stepped back, hurt. He sounded so outraged by the idea. Was quitting his job to spend more time with me really that unappealing?

"Lilac," he reached out to me, but I swatted his hand.

"No, no I get it. You do love me, but not more than you love the precious royal family."