Chapter 32: Forgiveness

A/N: Hey, I normally wouldn't ask this, but please listen to the song up there! :D It's going to essentially become the theme song for the ENTIRE series. It's highly significant! Thanks all <3 Enjoy.

Juliana's POV

Minutes passed before I finally worked up the courage to enter Aspen's personal quarters on the fourth floor. Or maybe it was longer than that. I had lost track of how long I had been standing there with my face pressed against the door.

I was ashamed of what I had done with Damien in the wake of Aspen's absence, but he had every reason to be shameful of himself as well. The last few months have not been easy for either of our families, but I did not think that that gave him the right to take his frustrations out on me. Especially not physically, whether he meant to do it or not. I wanted an explanation and I would refuse to leave the Prince's quarters until I received one.

I opened the door to find the space strangely empty. The guard that stood watch in front it specifically told me this is where he had run off to during the family meeting.

I walked further into the room shutting the door behind me. I peered my head into the next room, but quickly jerked it back when I saw Aspen and Haven standing in the middle of the floor, him caressing her cheek. They were talking in whispers, but I could just make out what they were saying.

"I had no idea I was pregnant when I left. I didn't find out until I was working undercover with the Isolian rebels." She was giving him an explanation, I realized.

"How am I just going to pop into her life explaining that I am her father? Better yet, how am I going to explain that to my parents and the Council? Oh God, the Council. They will eat me alive. The press will be all over this. It will be the biggest scandal both Isola and Albion have seen in years." Aspen's voice became frantic.

Haven sighed. "Look Aspen, I know that you want to do the right thing by Emmy, but I did not come back for that. You do not have to tell anyone about this. Not even Emmy. When she's old enough to understand, I will tell her the truth, but it's been just us for a while now, and my mother of course, and I am okay with that."

"You want me to abandon our daughter?" Aspen's voice lowered, barely audible at this point. 

Haven brought her hands to Aspen's face and held them there. She stood on her tiptoes to reach his height and planted a soft kiss on his lips. When she pulled away, she spoke.

"I love you, Aspen. I always will, but you are Prince of Isola. Soon to be King of Clarity. And I am a lowly maid working with a rebellion I want no part of to protect my family. You do not get to follow your heart, Aspen. You must honor your duty to your country and Juliana's country as well. We always knew that what we had wasn't going to last forever."

"Things are different now than they were two years ago. I can't just walk away now. I have a child! That makes a difference to me!" Aspen began to become angry, but lowered his voice when tears began to emerge from Haven's eyes.

"I know it does." She said softly. "But if you claim Emmy, your country will pay the price and I can't let you do that. Not for Emmy and certainly not for me."

Aspen was silent for a long time before he started walking to his desk. He opened up what looked like a checkbook and began writing on it. When he finished, he tore the check from the book and handed it to Haven.

She examined it before her mouth dropped open in shock.

"Aspen I-"

But he quickly cut her off.

"This is not open for debate. That should cover all medical expenses, food, and other supplies you've had to purchase in the last two years and it should also be more than enough for you to live comfortably until I become King. After that, whenever you need anything, please come to me. Whether it be money or anything else you may need or desire. If I can't take care of my daughter publicly, you sure as hell can't stop me from doing it privately." His tone was serious and authoritative. He wasn't taking no for an answer.