Chapter Four {Revised}

Juliana

"What is it, Mother?" I say as I quickly grab a towel from my hook and wrap it around myself. I squeeze the water out of my hair and let it hang loosely around my neck.

"Sorry, dear. I wasn't aware that you were taking a bath, but there are a few things that you should know about the tea tomorrow."

I nod, waiting for her to continue.

"I've received word from King Xander that Aspen is bringing his cousins," she tells me.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Okay, I guess. How many cousins are there exactly?"

I most definitely am not ready to be alone with the prince. In fact, I am dreading meeting him altogether. However, I was expecting an intimate tea—a proper way to figure out if I can spend the rest of my life with this man, not a party.

The queen only chuckles. "Only two. They are twins. I don't know what their names are though, not that it's relevant, but this means that you can bring two people as well. You're not going to like this, but I am insisting that you bring Taylor along. Not that I think it would be necessary, but she is next in line in the event that for any reason you are unable to take the throne. She should meet Prince Aspen as well."

I sigh with displeasure. "All right, Mother, is that all?"

"No, it isn't. We've discussed the dinner after the tea in passing, but this will be your first official meeting with Aspen's father. I need you to be on your best behavior. The dinner is extremely necessary so that we can flush out any minute details of the wedding."

"Have you heard anything from Father?" I ask hopefully, bypassing her warning. I will feel a lot less anxious about the dinner if I can be assured that the king will be there to support me, but I'm given my answer when the queen looks down.

"I'm sorry, Juliana. I wasn't even able to get in touch with him when you were...indisposed."

I freeze at her words. "Is he okay?" I ask frantically.

"I'm sure he's fine, dear. You know as well as I do that he has his work cut out for him down there in Norland. He doesn't have time to take calls every minute, but I left a message so I'm expecting a call back. You can talk to him then." She smiles reassuringly at me and I simply nod.

I attempt to conceal my disappointment. Father is the only one who really understands me. Especially in my frequent times of angst and worry. When the queen is being unreasonable, I know that I could always go to him for comfort. Not having him here as of late is a difficult burden to bear, especially with the wedding looming on the horizon.

"All right then, darling. I'll let you get back to it. I expect you in bed by nine. We're waking up early tomorrow."

I nod. "Okay, Mother."

Once the queen leaves my chambers, I quickly venture into my closet and change into my nightgown, not waiting for my maids to attend me. I grab my brush from my dresser and comb through my own hair for a change before sitting it back on the dresser.

The last thing I want is for Taylor to accompany me for tea tomorrow, but Mother does have a point. If anything were to happen and I am unable to take the throne, she would need to be acquainted with Aspen as well.

I walk out of my chambers, quickly giving a nod of greeting to the guards, and start for Taylor's chambers. Though she has her own residence on the palace grounds, which her father, my uncle and father's brother, had insisted on as he detested the political atmosphere of the palace, she has her own set of chambers here in the palace, as does the rest of the royal family. When I enter, she is sitting at her dresser as a maid brushes her hair. She glances at me through the mirror and gives me her signature smirk.