Chapter 41: Empty Rage and Cold Hearts

Juliana's POV

I wasn't sure how long I lied there on the floor, watching the horrific scene unfold before me before I shut my eyes completely.

I couldn't move or breathe or react or do anything to help anyone. So I simply fell asleep.

Something truly awful happens when you decide to give up on everything. Suddenly, you feel empty. No sadness, no pain, no guilt, and no anger. Just emptiness. And coming from someone who knows, I'd much rather feel those things than not a damn thing at all.

Anger and rage are fire. Emptiness is ice. Hatred means that you still care. Emptiness is pure, unadulterated indifference. And that's a hell of a lot scarier.

So many things happened at once. One minute Lilac was talking, the next we were being dragged away through dark corridor after dark corridor until I could no longer stay conscious enough to stay aware of our surroundings. And then I woke up and all I could see were distorted pictures of Aspen in a fit of rage and Taylor crying in a pool of blood.

And then suddenly, there was light. And it felt like such a long time since I'd seen anything except black darkness. I was almost joyful.

But that only lasted for a split second before my world became shattered and empty again. That's what happens when you're trapped somewhere for too long. It's a mind game. It starts with fear, then anger, and then you lose your hope. And that's where it pretty much ends. They can't do anything else to you once you've lost all hope.

And I had lost hope.

If there's one thing I'll remember from that fateful day-or night, I wasn't sure anymore-it will be the screams. They came from everywhere and everyone.

Ear shattering.

Painful.

Broken.

Loud.

"Jules, stay with me," someone said.

"I can't," I didn't say, but I tried to.

Darkness.

Light.

"Get her out of here! Get her away from me!" Taylor's shrill voice echoed through the corridor.

I blinked.

She was covered in blood. She shook violently as tears ran down her blood stained face. Whose? I did not know.

Austin Maddox held her back. She fought violently against him; hitting, punching, kicking, and whatever else she thought would loosen his grip on her body, but it as no use. All she could do was flail around in his big arms.

I turned my head to see who she was screaming at.

Lilac covered her mouth with her hands, matching blood stains covering her face.

"I'm sorry," she mouthed, but I didn't hear the actual words over Taylor yelling and fighting to get to her.

"Let go of me! I'll kill her! I swear to God!" Taylor shouted in a rage I'd never heard from anyone before. It was a mix of pure, cold anger and heart wrenching agony. And not the kind of physical agony that you get from a deep cut or a bullet wound or a sword lodged into your side. This was agony of the worse kind because it came from within.